Step 1: Set up the Jury and Scorecard Options
Go to Jury > Administration > Choose Event
The first portion of the Jury Administration page is where you will set up the jury and scorecard options. NOTE: Only applications in the Received status can be juried. Be sure all entries to be juried are noted as Received before the jury starts; otherwise, you will leave out eligible applicants from the jury process.
Jury Status: Change the jury status to In Progress when you’re ready to begin the jury.
- Not Yet Started: default setting before the call’s deadline. Application statuses are visible to the artists while your jury status is set to Not Yet Started.
- In Progress: setting used after the deadline and must be enabled to allow jurors’ access to the scorecard. Applications statuses are hidden to the artists while your jury status is set to In Progress.
- Complete: setting used after the artists are notified. Application statuses are visible to the artists while your jury status is set to Complete.
Scorecard View: Choose how your juror(s) will view the scorecard.
- Projection: displays the scorecard as a list of entries against a white background.
- Monitor: displays the individual scorecards as a slideshow one at a time against a gray background.
- Gallery: displays a grid of 20 thumbnail images with scoring options underneath. Available for Scoring by Art (Jury by Artwork) events only.
Scoring Type: Choose how your juror(s) will score each entry. You may switch score types after each round but not during an active round.
- Yes, Maybe, No: value of 3, 2, and 1, respectively.
- 1 through 7: 1 being the lowest, and 7 being the highest.
- 1 through 20: 1 being the lowest, and 20 being the highest.
Jury Permissions: Check the boxes under Jury Permissions and Application Questions that you would like to hide from the jurors. All checked boxes will be fully hidden.
Save Changes: Click the Save Changes button to save the changes to the settings in this portion of the Jury Administration page.
After you set up your Scorecard Options, set up each juror’s login. You may do this any time before you jury. Locate the Jurors assigned to this call section. Click Add Juror to set up a juror’s profile information. You will need their full name and contact information.
On the Juror Editor, enter your juror’s information in each field.
- Status: Select Active.
- Username: Create a username for your juror (e.g. jsmith)
- Password: Create a password for your juror.
- First/Last Name: Enter your juror’s first and last name.
- Email/Phone: Enter your juror’s email and phone number.
- Add: Click Add to save the new juror profile.
After adding your juror, select the check box next to Jury Access to assign the juror to a specific call(s). Click Edit at the bottom of the form to save.
You may email your jurors from CaFÉ or use your own email program. Click Show Emailer to compose and send a message to your juror.
Note: Don’t forget to email jurors their login credentials and make sure the Jury Status is set to In Progress.
Return to the Jury Administration page to verify that your juror(s) has been assigned to your call. Click the name of the juror to return to edit the juror’s information and access the emailer.
CaFÉ Jurors Page
You may also access the list of jurors created by going to the Events > Jurors tab. Click edit to make changes to the juror account.
After you set up your scorecard options and create your juror account(s), you are ready to begin the jury. First, you will want to instruct your juror(s) of the review and selection expectations and your desired completion date.
Direct your jurors to this help page for instructions on how to login and score the entries: Help for Jurors. Jurors will go to admin.callforentry.org and log in with their juror credentials provided by you.
- NOTE: If the juror logs in to their account and sees the error message, Error: You have not yet been assigned to any active Jury events, this means your Jury Status is not set to In Progress OR your juror’s account is not assigned to the call under the Jury Access portion of their account.
IMPORTANT: The CaFÉ website uses pop-ups for its displays of the Juror Scorecard. Jurors must disable pop-up blockers on their browser for the scorecard to operate.
Instruct your jurors to let you know once they have scored all of the entries. You will also be able to see the number of scored entries by each juror on the Jury Administration page within the Jurors assigned to this call section.
Step 2: Change Status and Advance to Next Round
After your jurors are done scoring all the entries in the current round, you will return to the Jury Administration page and go to Step 2: Change Status and Advance to Next Round to change the status of the lowest scored entries from Received to Not Invited. Click on Change App Status to access the Jury Functions Page. Follow the steps below to complete this process.
1. Select the categories, if any
2. The system will auto-populate the average score and removal threshold. If you prefer, enter a new Removal Threshold value that will determine your cut-off score. Those with an average score below this rating will be removed. For example, if you want to eliminate the entries that scored lower than 4, enter 4 as your removal threshold.
3. Click Update. The red numbers under To Be Removed indicate the number of entries to be removed and assigned to the Not Invited status. NOTE: If you prefer to review the threshold cutoff number prior to changing the application status to Not Invited, return to the Jury Administration page and click on Download XLSX. Use this report to review and sort the spreadsheet by average score. Then return to Change App Status.
4. Click Preview. You will see a list of entries to be moved to the Not Invited status. Review the entries to ensure the entries with the desired cut-off score will be eliminated.
5. Click the Not Invited button to continue. Entries will move from Received to the Not Invited status. You may still access applications, if needed, from the Not Invited status.
6. If you will be conducting a second round of jurying, return to the Jury Administration page and select your next round number from the Change Round To drop-down menu. Click Save to save selection.
7. After the jury scores in the next round, repeat steps 1 through 4 to move the next round of lower scored entries to the Not Invited Status.
8. When you are done moving the entries with the lowest scores from the final round to the Not Invited status, and the remaining artists in your Received status are your chosen finalists, advance to Step 3: Finalize the Jury, where you will change the finalists’ status from Received to Invited.
NOTE: When applicants are moved to the Not Invited status, they are not auto-notified of the results and they are never removed permanently out of the system. You will draft your own message after the jury ends to notify applicants of their Not Invited status.
Step 3: Finalize the Jury
When your jurors are finished scoring all artists in the final round, you are now ready to change the finalists from Received to Invited status. Locate the Step 3: Finalize the Jury portion of the Jury Administration Page and click on Final Selection. Follow the steps below to complete this process.
1. Select the categories, if any.
2. Leave the Invited Threshold at zero because you will be moving all the remaining entries to the Invited status.
3. If you make any changes, be sure to click Update.
4. Click Preview. A list of entries to be moved to Invited will appear. Review the entries to ensure the entries have the desired scores.
4. Click the Invited button to continue. Entries will move from Received to the Invited status. You may still access applications, if needed, from the Invited status.
All of the entries to your call should now be separated between the Invited and Not Invited statuses. Return to the Event > Management page to confirm zero entries remain in the Received status. Once your jury is complete and the entries are sorted into the Invited and Not Invited statuses, you are ready to notify the artists of the results.
Download Scoring History
Follow the steps below to access and download the scoring history for each round of jurying.
1. Select the Scoring History button under Step 3.
2. Select your Jury Round from the drop down menu and click Go. The scores for each application will appear.
3. On the bottom of the page, click Download Round  Scores to download a spreadsheet of the scores from your selected jury round.
Once you have completed the Jury Administration process, continue to our next guide to find out how to email the artists of your jury results and wrap up your call.
NOTE: Do not change the Jury Status to Complete until the final selections have been made and you have notified the artist of the jury results. Otherwise, you will prematurely allow artists to see their true application status results within their CaFÉ profile.
To view a demonstration of these instructions, watch our Jury Administration webinar.