Creating and Editing a New Call
Requesting a New Call
If you are ready to set up a new call, complete the Client Information Form for Contest. Be sure to indicate your payment preference (including auto-deduction or prepaid), and let us know if any billing address or contact information has changed.
Once you submit the form, we will notify you when the new call template is ready for you to edit and complete on CaFÉ. You will then be able to input the event information, application form, and submission requirements in the online Call Editor.
Please be sure to provide the most accurate and complete information and data possible on the call form. The CaFÉ team will enter the base details as provided.
IMPORTANT: You may not re-use old calls with deadlines that have passed or have exceeded a rolling term to accept new entries. New calls must be requested and purchased prior to being set up.
Editing a Call
The Call Editor is where you add the information about your event, create the application form, and set up the entry fee. To locate the Call Editor, go to the Events tab, click Management, and select your call from the menu. Click Call Editor and you will see the three tabs where you can edit your application and prospectus information.
Download and use our Call Set Up Checklist to make sure everything is set up properly!
Event Information Tab
The first section of the Event Information tab is where you will input the details of your call, upload your logo, and enter your contact information. TIP: To ensure your logo displays correctly across all devices, follow our Logo Size & Format Recommendations.
The second section of the Event Information tab is where you will write out your call’s prospectus, legal agreement, and mailing address.
The third section of the Event Information tab includes additional settings for your call and allows you to list out all applicable dates for your event.
Save Button: Click Save to save changes and edits before you preview or leave the page. Preview your info prior to posting your call. Make any corrections as needed.
- NOTE: CaFÉ has a security feature that will timeout users if there is no activity in their account after 30 minutes. Typing on the page does not automatically reset the timer. Instead, click the Save button to save your work and reset the timer.
Jury Type Definitions
- Scoring by Art (Jury by Artwork): Jury based on individual works of art. Each image/audio/video that is submitted will be juried and scored individually.
- Scoring by Application (Jury by Artist): Jury based on an artist’s body of work. A grouping of image/audio/video that is submitted will be juried and scored as a whole.
To learn more about which jury type is best for your call, visit our Jury Types help guide.
Artist Statement: Set to Active to require an artist statement from every applicant. Character limits of 1,000 – 5,000. Disable if you will not require an artist statement. To save changes to the Artist Statement Options, click the Modify button.
Application Custom Questions: Create an unlimited number of application form questions. You can choose from different question types, including: informational only, document file upload, radio button, checkbox, drop-down list, and text box. You can collect information such as resumes, bios, statements of interest, etc.
- Text: Applicants type their answers in a text box.
- File Upload: Applicants will upload a file that can not exceed 2 MB and is .txt, .pdf, .doc, .docx, .xls, or .jpg format only.
- Checkbox: Applicants select one or more answers from a group.
- Radio Buttons: Applicants select only one answer to a question. Good for yes/no questions.
- Drop-down List: Applicants select one answer from several possible answers.
- Informational Only: Instructional text that does not require an answer.
How to create an Application Custom Question:
1. Under the Title column, type in a short title for the question. This title is internal only and is not the question that will be displayed to the artist.
2. Under Priority) Type, choose the Question Type. See the following section to view all question types available. Be sure to choose the appropriate question type for your question. For example, if you ask applicants to upload a file, make sure you use the File Upload option.
3. If applicable, choose the number of answer options under the Options column.
4. Choose Yes under Hide From Jurors to make the question private from the jury.
5. Click Build New Question.
6. On the Question Editor Page, enter your question in the Question text box. This will be the question viewed by the artists.
7. Enter additional information in the Information text box if applicable. This information will be seen in a help bubble on the application.
8. Click Create Question to save the question and return to the Application Editor.
Categories Editor: Activate Categories to build a list of category options that applicants can select. Applicants will select their category of choice from the list of options and jurors will be able to view and score by category. If your call jury type is by artist, the artist selects one category for the application. If your call jury type is by artwork, the artist selects one category per entry. NOTE: Leave as Disabled if you choose not to use this feature.
To activate, choose Active and click Go. Enter one category name per box and click Add Category. To save changes to an existing category, click edit. To delete a category, click delete.
Media Requirements: The Media Requirements are only editable by CaFÉ staff based on the client’s initial call request. Please contact us prior to activating your call if you would like to change these requirements. This cannot be changed after the call opens.
Allow Range of Images: This field is disabled if artists are required to submit an exact number of media samples. If the call allows for a range, this field is active and allows for a minimum to maximum number of all media types accepted. Each image uploaded counts toward the minimum/maximum, including additional, detailed images of the same artwork.
- Images: A total qty or range of 1 – 20.
JPG files only, minimum of 1,200 pixels on the longest side and 5 MB maximum.
- Audio: A total qty or range of 1 – 6.
AIFF, WAV, XMF, MP3; 10 MB maximum.
- Video: A total qty or range of 1 – 6.
3GP, WMV, AVI, MOV, ASF, MPG, MP4, M2T, MKV, M2TS; min. 640×480 resolution; 100 MB maximum.
- Total Media Allowed: Minimum Qty – Maximum Qty
Display: Choose the number of media samples that will appear per row on the submitted application.
Preview Application Questions: Click Preview Application Questions to view the application as it will be seen by the artists. Review and ensure your questions and application settings are set up properly.
Save Button: Save changes before you preview or leave the page. Preview your information prior to posting your call.
Learn additional information and tips for setting up your application by watching our Build a Better Application webinar!
Media Fee: Available to Scoring by Art (Jury by Artwork) calls only. Use this product if you jury by individual artwork and you need to charge per each additional image. Media fee will be applied toward the entry fee against the maximum number of media allowed. For example, $10 for 1 minimum entry, $5.00 for each additional entry up to the maximum.
- Enter the cost for each additional image entry. Only one additional media fee is permissible.
- If charging an additional image/media file, do not include it as a second entry fee. You’ll use the Media Fee type to set up the additional media cost.
IMPORTANT: The base Entry Fee is set for the minimum quantity of images allowed and cannot be based on a range of images when using the Media Fee product. For example, you can charge $35.00 for 3 images, and $5.00 each additional image. But you cannot charge $35.00 for 1 to 3 images, and $5.00 each additional image.
Add additional products by entering the information in the blank product box below Preview App Fees. Click add to save the changes.
Additional product types:
- Admin Fee: Enter the cost for optional purchases made at the same time as the entry fee (e.g. $10 for a color catalog).
- Other Fee: Only to be used with the Confirmation Deadline feature. After you have completed your jury, Invited artists can accept and purchase a participation fee by the confirmed date.
Coupon Code: If you offer a discount on the entry fee, click the Create a Coupon Code link to set up the promo code.
NOTE: You are responsible for verifying that your fees are set up correctly as well as making any necessary corrections to ensure proper payment is being collected. You should monitor and verify the transaction payments via the Income Breakdown Report. Contact the CaFÉ team if you need assistance or have questions about the fee set-up.
Publishing Your Call
To activate your call and publish it to the Call Listings page, return to the Event Information tab and change the Front End Status to Active. Be sure to click Save at the bottom of the page. Your unique call URL will generate above the Front End Status setting when you make the call Active. Click the URL link to view your call listing as it will appear immediately on the CaFÉ Listings page. Your call will also be searchable using any of the words in your call name or organization name.
To see a video tutorial about how to set up your call, watch our Call Setup Features webinar!
Tips and Best Practices
- Setting up a Public Art call? Check out our Tools for Success for Public Art Calls.
- Looking for examples of other calls? Check out the CaFÉ Listings page for inspiration.
- Find examples of Legal Agreement verbiage (i.e. your terms and conditions to apply) from calls published on the CaFÉ Listings page.
- Want artists to see your call? The CaFÉ Opportunities This Week notification is a free weekly email sent to opted-in artists that includes opportunities within 3 to 15 days of their deadline, as well as newly listed opportunities published in the 7 days prior. We don’t include opportunities without a deadline date or rolling deadlines. We also use our social media pages (Twitter and Facebook) to promote staff-selected opportunities. Clients may request their listing be included in our social media promotion.
- The CaFÉ™ team also offers an add-on service for targeted promotion of individual opportunities. The Promotional E-blast service allows you to pick the geographic region(s) and artistic discipline(s) of artists you’d like to reach, and we send an email with your call details and organization information. Starting at $100, we have different pricing options depending on the number of emails in your target group. Details and the reservation form can be found here: Promotional E-Blast.