Applying is a three-stage process. All steps must be completed to submit.
If this is your first time using CaFE, click Artist Sign Up and complete the free registration form. You must be registered before you can log in and apply to a call for entry.
1. My Portfolio. Upload work samples.
Once you have logged in, you may add JPGs to your account that meet the following upload-ready criteria:
File Type: JPEG or JPG only.
File Dimensions: 1,200 pixels or greater on the longest side.
File Size: Under 5 MB.
- Click the My Portfolio link.
- Click the Upload Media button. Select a file type to upload: “Image” is the default.
- You may choose Audio or Video as the file type if you wish to start there.
- Click the Choose File button.
- Navigate to the place on your device where your image or files are stored. Choose a JPG of the artwork you wish to upload to your My Portfolio page.
- Once selected, complete the artwork description form.
- Click the Add to My Portfolio button. Successful uploads produce a thumbnail version.
- The upload progress takes only a few seconds depending on internet speed.
- After the first successful upload, click Action and choose Upload Media to repeat the process for each image of an artwork you wish to upload to your portfolio.
Not all calls accept audio or video work samples. Carefully read the entry requirements to know beforehand what kinds of work samples the call for entry is seeking. For information about accepted media types visit this help page.
Your portfolio items will be available for you to use for other calls. The My Portfolio section will act as a library to store your work samples for all future submissions.
2. Apply to Calls. Search calls and apply.
Once you have added artwork samples to your portfolio, you are now ready to start applying to call for entries.
- Click the Apply to Calls link.
- Use the search bar to search by call name, organization, or city. The search will sift through 180+ listings and return a positive result if it locates what you entered in the search.
- Use the filter options on the left hand side to filter by the type of call, eligibility, entry fee, state or by deadline.
- Click the heart 🖤 icon to save your favorite call listings and return to view the favorites later.
- Once you’ve located a call for entry, read the short description or click More Info to go to the full details.
- Click the Apply Now button if you are ready to start the application form questions.
Read the full details thoroughly. Each call for entry is sponsored by a different organization and therefore each call for entry requirement and eligibility is unique.
You will be asked to complete form questions and choose work samples at this stage.
These are typically narrative-based questions such as Artist Statement, Resume, or Artist Bio. But they may also be multiple choice or checkbox type questions. You can type a response, copy/paste a response, or upload a document. Be sure to save frequently.
Depending on the organization’s preference, you will either be providing a typed response or a file upload response. No two forms are alike, that’s because each organization hosting their call on CaFE decides what they wish to collect from applicants.
Choose Work Samples:
These are the images and work samples you uploaded to your portfolio. Hover over a thumbnail and click to select the image that will be submitted. Click to deselect if you change your mind. Be sure to choose the required quantity.
Depending on the organization’s preference, you will either be choosing only images or a combination of images, audio, or video media. You may in some cases, be able to reorder images after you save as well as choose categories for each submission.
Click the Save Application button to proceed to the next stage.
Important: Clicking Save Application even if your entry is partially completed is good practice.You may return to complete it from the My CaFE Entries page anytime before the deadline.
Error? Items in red indicate something is required and has not been answered. Try again until all required questions and requirements have been completed.
3. Checkout. Complete and checkout.
Once you have completed the form question and work sample requirements, you are ready to submit.
At this stage you have three options: Checkout, Back to Entry, and Preview.
- Click I’m Ready to Checkout to finalize, pay for and submit your application to the organization.
- Click Back to Entry if you need to make edits or changes and you are not yet ready to submit.
- Click Preview if you need to see how the application will look after you have submitted it.
- Once you are ready to checkout, place a checkmark in the box to the left of the call name. You will see a total amount due.
- If you have a coupon code to redeem, enter it now or you will pay the full price.
- Depending on the organization’s preference, you’ll either be paying by card or PayPal, in some cases organizations will accept payment by check.
- Choose a method of payment. Click Proceed to Checkout.
- If there is no entry fee, click Proceed to Checkout.
- On the final page, submit card payment information. If paying with PayPal follow the page prompts.
- Click submit to finalize payment. You will be able to print a receipt after checkout and one will also be emailed to you for your records.
- $0.00/No cost entries must also proceed to checkout to finalize submission.
- Once an entry has been submitted, you cannot make changes to it.
- Payment options include: Pay with Visa/MasterCard; Pay with PayPal; Pay with Check.
- If paying with check, mail your payment to the organization not to CaFE.