Entry Deadline: 9/7/18
Number of Applications Allowed: 4
Images - Minimum: 2, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 2, Maximum: 5
View Site Details
ArtFest Fort Myers* announces We Are Overflowing, a national juried exhibit of art crafted from re-purposed, discarded and cast-off materials. The art festival understands the power of art to convey the importance of conserving our limited natural resources and inspiring re-use and the upcycling movement.
The inaugural show, a showcase of ingenuity and imagination, will be February 1 & 2, 2020 and exhibit sophisticated two and three-dimensional art created in the re-use genre. The Call for Artists to select 10 to 12 artists for We Are Overflowing 2020 will be released January 25, 2019 and will be open to all residents of the United States.
CALL FOR ARTIST We Are Overflowing Launch
To launch We Are Overflowing 2020 ArtFest Fort Myers seeks to commission one high-impact sculpture that instantly conveys the message of “as a country we are overflowing with trash and recyclables”. The goal is to get viewer to "re-think what they dispose of - is it trash, is it recycleable, is its best use repurposing or reuse?" This piece will be a 1-month installation in February 2019 that will receive signficant traditional and social media coverage.
- Debuted February 1, 2 & 3, 2019 at ArtFest Fort Myers, Southwest Florida’s Premier Art Festival and largest weekend event.
- Displayed in downtown Fort Myers for 1 month post-festival
- Used in promotional material for We Are Overflowing 2020
- Size appropriate related to concept shown later in this Call
- All materials visible to the viewer must be repurposed, recycled, reclaimed or reused materials. Structural elements may be new (but recycled preferred).
- Sculpture to be installed on-site in outdoors environment beginning January 28, 2019 and completed by February 3, 2019 with interaction by the art festival’s attendees. Portions of the artwork can be pre-made by the artist for ease of on-site installation.
- Artist will need to be in Fort Myers January 27 to February 4
Pubic Art Installation by Madrid-based artist Alicia anMartin inspired the concept for the Launch artwork.
We Are Overflowing Launch artwork must incorporate a recyle dumpster*** which will be supplied by the City of Fort Myers. The recycle dumpster will be the large variety with “windows” on both sides. Shown in Site Plan Image. Dumpster will be fresh, clean and without signs. Exact dimension details and options for painting, etc. will be discussed with selected artist.
*** We have received several phone calls today regarding incorporation of recycle dumpster in artwork. Let us clarify - these dumpsters or ones of other sizes are available for your use IF DESIRED. If you would prefer not to use one that is fine. The artwort is up to you - that always produces the best art. We are sorry for confusion.
Artists are asked to submit Proposal for Sculpture that includes:
- artist’s professional qualifications
- illustration of concept (sketch or computer generated);
- narrative description (500 words maximum);
- description of structural integrity of sculpture;
- mindfulness that the sculpture will be on display for 1 month;
- photographs of prior installations based on re-use genre, if applicable (5 max);
- photographs of prior public art installations based on any genre, if applicable (5 max);
- references from prior projects;
Submit Proposals through – CaFÉ (CallForEntry.org) beginning August 2, 2018
Artist may submit multiple Proposals – 4 maximum
Submission Deadline: September 7, 2018
This Call for Artist is open to all residents of the United States over the age of 18. All artists regardless of race, nationality, gender, gender variance, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, marital status, political opinion or affiliation, mental or physical handicap. Artists working in any media are eligible to apply.
Any shipping costs for other materials or components and artist travel are included in the stipend and are responsibility of the artist.
Jury will be evaluating:
- How well the Proposal relates to the theme ”we are overflowing” and inspiring re-use and the upcycling movement
- How fully the artist’s intention or concept is presented and realized
- Innovation, originality of concept, design and execution
- Artist’s professional qualifications
Jury process may be on-line or with jurors convening in-person in Fort Myers.
Decision of the jurors is final.
The juror’s results will be emailed by September 19, 2018. If you have not received notification by September 20, 2018 please notify Sharon.McAllister@ArtFestFortMyers.com.
DELIVERY OF MATERIALS OR COMPONENTS
Advance delivery of materials or components for sculpture may be arranged with prior approval for location and shipping method. All costs are included in the Stipend and are the responsibly of the artist
August 2, 2018 Apply Now at CaFÉ (CallForEntry.org)
September 7, 2018 DEADLINE for application midnight (MST)
Week of September 10, 2018 Jury process
September 19, 2018 Artist notified
September 26, 2018 Artist acceptance of commission
October 1, 2018 Contract signed
November 15 & December 15 Artist status report
January 28, 2019 Artwork installation begins in Fort Myers
February 1, 2 & 3, 2019 Artwork on display at ArtFest Fort Myers
Month of February 2019 Artwork on display in downtown Fort Myers and
potential other locations in Lee County, FL
Please direct all questions to ArtFest Fort Myers
* ArtFest Fort Myers, a 501(c)(3) arts organization, is Southwest Florida’s Premier Art Festival and largest weekend event. An award-winning, best-practices festival featuring:
- 206 professional artists (selected from 950 who apply) from across the country and around the world
- arts-based interactive attendee activities to create a true arts festival that engages attendees for the day