2018 Neddy Artist Awards
Cornish College of the Arts
1000 Lenora St., Seattle, WA 98121
Entry Deadline: 7/22/18
Images - Minimum: 12, Maximum: 15
Audio - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 6
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 12, Maximum: 15
Neddy Artist Awards at Cornish College of the Arts gives cash awards to visual artists based in the greater Puget Sound region (Island, Jefferson, King, Kitsap, Mason, Pierce, Skagit,San Juan, Snohomish, Thurston and Whatcom counties). The Award is funded by the Behnke Foundation and stewarded by Cornish College as a tribute to Seattle painter and educator Ned Behnke (1948-1989). Each year two $25,000 unrestricted cash awards are given—one in painting and one in any medium or combination of media grounded in the visual arts (referred to in the application as "Open Medium")—to artists creating outstanding work and who demonstrate commitment to and development of their artistic practice over time. Six finalists, three in each category, receive $1,500 each
The annual Neddy awardees in Painting and Open Medium demonstrate artistic excellence and commitment to and development of their work over time. In honor of Ned and his passion for painting, one Neddy award is given to an artist who identifies his/her/their work in terms of painting, whether traditional or newer interpretations of the medium. Reflecting the ever-increasing possibilities in contemporary art practices, the other award honors artists that work in any medium or combination of media grounded in the visual arts ("Open Medium" in the application).
Ned Behnke embodied Cornish College of the Art’s mission of developing artists as citizens—individuals who aim for artistic excellence and an applied consciousness of responsibility to society. As the awards honor Ned’s legacy, Neddy recipients will reflect and embody his belief in the power of art and artists to be positive forces in our world.
The criteria for the Neddy award is:
1. Artistic excellence and demonstrated commitment to and development of the work over time.
2. Demonstrated engagement, broadly understood, with the world through art.
Artists may apply to the Neddy Artist Awards if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Artists must be full-time residents of Washington State, residing in the greater Puget Sound region (Island, Jefferson, King, Kitsap, Mason, Pierce, Skagit,San Juan, Snohomish, Thurston and Whatcom counties) and must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
- Artists must be 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
- Be active and show commitment to creating and developing one's work over time
- Artists must NOT be previous recipients of the award. Previous finalists are eligible AFTER A ONE-YEAR HIATUS.
- Artists must NOT be full-time core faculty or a trustee at Cornish College of the Arts
- Students currently enrolled in either undergraduate or graduate degree programs at the time of application are NOT eligible. Those who have completed all degree requirements at the time of application, but have yet to matriculate may be eligible pending verification. Please contact program staff with questions about eligibility.
- Artists must be available on the dates of national juror visit and production of videos, or the award goes to the alternate. These dates will be provided at the time the finalists are contacted to ascertain their availability.
DEADLINE: is at 10:59p.m. PACIFIC Time Zone on 7/22/2018