Artist in Our Community
Walters Cultural Arts Center
527 E Main Street
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123
Entry Deadline: 3/12/18
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 10
Audio - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 10
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 10
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 10
On behalf of the Hillsboro Arts and Culture Endowment, the City of Hillsboro Cultural Arts Division invites professional artists or artist teams to apply for the Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community Project. Community engagement is at the heart of this artistic project, which is open to all creative practices including, but not limited to: visual and performing arts, literary arts, cultural arts, architecture, film, culinary arts, gaming, photography/photojournalism, creative technology, craft and folk traditions, woodworking, design, music and fabric arts. The total 2018 project funding, including artist stipend and materials is $5,000.
The selected artist or artist team, having made significant contributions to their work as an artist(s) and known for their ability to engage the community, will implement creative, inclusive and community-engaged projects, activities and/or events throughout Hillsboro. Through their creative practice, they will inspire Hillsboro individuals, organizations, businesses and creative communities; reflect upon the richness and diversity of the people, locations and traditions of Hillsboro; and share those experiences with the broader Hillsboro community.
The Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community Project should produce an outcome suitable for a broad general audience of all ages including young children (PG rated), and be appropriate for presentation in public and government facilities. This includes outcomes such as, but not limited to, a temporary installation(s), recording, digital collection, creative collaboration, exhibition(s), performance(s), or community experience(s) that can be shared and celebrated with the public.
Through the City of Hillsboro's core values, the Cultural Arts Division supports arts and culture in the community by respecting diverse ideas and voices, emphasizing innovation, and providing excellent public service to enhance Hillsboro's hometown livability.
Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community Project Goals
- Provide opportunities for multiple and diverse segments of the community to directly engage in creative practices and processes.
* Inspire/encourage residents in their creative endeavors and personal expression
* Bring attention to the arts in less traditional settings
- Raise awareness of arts and culture in Hillsboro
* Spotlight the important role individual artists play in contributing to a vibrant and creative community.
* Initiate conversations between local artists, cultural organizations, and community institutions about the value of arts and culture.
* Contribute to potential placemaking and civic pride.
* Promote arts and culture in the community
The Hillsboro Arts & Culture Endowment and the City of Hillsboro will provide:
- $5000 to cover artist stipend, materials and supplies from July - October 2018
- Assist in connecting artist or artist team with arts organizations, schools, community organizations, and Hillsboro programs and venues;
- Utilize city website, arts calendar, and social media to track and archive the experience, make announcements, and promote Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community culmination during 2018 October Arts Month.
The Artist will:
- Commit to engaging community members in creative experiences;
- Deliver the selected proposal within the Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community Project timeline and budget;
- Provide regular progress updates to staff;
- Be available to speak with the media;
- Act as an advocate of the Hillsboro Arts and Culture Endowment; and
- Understake a culminating presentation during Hillsboro Arts Month in October 2018, including a screening, exhibition, performance, community event, and/or public talk.
Please see Legal Agreement section for Eligibility Requirements
Selection Process and Criteria
A Selection Panel composed of members of the Hillsboro Arts & Culture Endowment Committee and City of Hillsboro Cultural Arts staff will review proposals based on project goals and selection criteria. Artists and artist teams will be considered based on their previous body of work and experience, an assessment of their capacity to engage with the community, and their proven ability to deliver work of high artistic quality on time and on budget. The Panel may invite qualified candidates to participate in interviews as part of this review process.
The panel will score proposals based on:
- Completeness of application form;
- Originality and quality of work;
- Professional activity and achievements that demonstrates a commitment to developing their art, continuity of practice and previous community engagement;
- Knowledge and skills to coordinate project and work collaboratively with community members;
- Community impact and ability to support the richness and diversity of the people, locations and traditions of Hillsboro; and
- Commitment to share their creative practice with the community through such activities as: art making, (approximately 8 - 10 hours per week).
Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community Project Timeline
- March 12, 2018: Applications are due on, or before this date
- March 13 - April 25, 2018: Review of submissions and interviews
- April 25 - May 25, 2018: Announcement of selected artist / artist team
- July 1 - October 31, 2018: Approximate project period
For additional information or questions, please contact:
Melissa Moore, Community Arts Program Supervisor
City of Hillsboro, Oregon