31st September Competition
Alexandria Museum of Art
933 2nd St
Alexandria, LA 71301
Entry Deadline: 4/12/18
Days remaining to deadline: 47
Images - Minimum: 2, Maximum: 10
Audio - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 4
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 4
Total Media - Minimum: 2, Maximum: 10
Entry Fee (Entry Fee (includes 2 entries)): $40.00
Media Fee (per sample over minimum): $20.00
Alexandria Museum of Art
31st September Competition
July 6 – October 20, 2018
· All artists over the age of 18 – working in any medium – are eligible.
· All work must be original and must have been completed in the last two years (2016 or later).
· AMoA encourages artists working in video and other experimental media to submit entries for judging.
· By entering the competition, the artist agrees that all entered work will be available for exhibition if chosen. No substitutions will be allowed.
· Each artist may submit TWO full view works of art with a non-refundable entry fee of $40. (Additional works, including views and details of 3D works may be submitted for a fee $20 per each entry.)
· Entries will be blind juried by digital images.
· All digital images submitted must be smaller than 5MB and saved as a JPG at the highest resolution possible. Video files must be a maximum of 100 MB.
· Deadline for entry is April 12, 2018.
· Video entries must not exceed 30 minutes in length.
· No work should exceed seven (7) feet (84”) in any direction, or 200 lbs. in weight. Entries exceeding these limitations will automatically be disqualified.
· All works must be adhered to a backing for exhibition, nothing will be painted or adhered directly to the museum walls. (No vinyl pieces or paint will be applied directly to the museum walls)
· If digital images are not correctly representative of work chosen, AMoA has the right to disqualify the entry from the exhibition.
· By entering the competition, the artist agrees to allow their work to reproduced for the purpose of publicity.
· Entry must include digital images, entry fee, and a maximum 100 word artist statement for catalog and label use only (not available to juror before selected).
· ALL SELECTED WORKS MUST ARRIVE PRE-PAID BY June 22, 2018 – ALONG WITH A PRE-PAID RETURN ADDRESS LABEL (no order forms will be accepted, must be a completed label).
· Artists who do not adhere to any of the above rules will be subject to disqualification at the discretion of museum staff.
To be awarded at the exhibition opening on July 6, 2018:
To be awarded at the close of exhibition:
AMoA proudly welcomes William U. Eiland as the juror for the 31st September Competition.
A native of Sprott, Ala., William Underwood Eiland is the director of the Georgia Museum of Art at the University of Georgia. He has a bachelor’s degree from Birmingham-Southern College and master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of Virginia. Eiland has edited and contributed to more than 60 publications. He has served on the boards of the American Alliance of Museums, the Southeastern Museums Conference and the Georgia Association of Museums and Galleries; was a trustee of the Association of Art Museum Directors; and was chairman of the Arts and Artifacts Indemnity Advisory Panel for the National Endowment for the Arts. Since 2013 he has been a trustee of the International Council of Museums. Among his many honors, Eiland, in 2013, received the American Alliance of Museums Distinguished Service Award in recognition of his contributions to the field on a national level. Most recently, in October 2017, he received a Governor’s Award for the Arts & Humanities for his service to Georgia.
April 12 Application deadline.
May 21 Jury notification by email.
No phone calls please!
June 22 Deadline for receipt of juried works and pre-paid return shipment label.
July 6 Artists’ Reception and Gallery Talk.
Oct. 20 Exhibition Closes.
Nov. 1 Deadline for pick up of hand delivered work.
Shipping of art work with pre-paid return label provided by the artist
Exhibit Delivery and Packaging
· After notification of selection, ship entries to:
Alexandria Museum of Art, 933 Second Street, Alexandria, LA 71301.
· All artwork must arrive no later than June 22, 2018.
· ALL SHIPMENTS MUST HAVE A PRE-PAID RETURN LABEL FOR THE RETURN OF WORK. (Example: FedEx, UPS, or USPS.) NO ORDER FORMS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
· Be sure to select a carrier that delivers to Alexandria, LA.
· Hand deliveries will be accepted Tues.-Fri., 10am-5pm.
· Please do NOT include personal checks for return shipping.
· All artwork must have a completed identification card attached to the backside.
· All shipped works must be in sturdy reusable packaging.
· Do not use Styrofoam peanuts or pieced boxes.
· Opening instructions should be printed on the outside.
· All necessary installation instructions must be included with the work.
· All damaged packages will be returned unopened C.O.D.
· When open packages contain damaged works the artist will be consulted.
· Return shipping of artwork will begin November 1, 2018.
· ALL WORK WILL BE SHIPPED USING THE PRE-PAID RETURN LABEL SUPPLIED BY THE ARTIST.
· AMoA will not take responsibility for works returned undeliverable.
· Art work unclaimed after one year becomes the property of AMoA
· Selected work must be display ready.
· All 2-D work should be wired or fitted with D-rings for hanging, and where appropriate, framed with Plexiglas.
· Any work notably different from the submitted digital file will be disqualified.
· Any submitted artwork must be available for exhibition. No substitutions will be allowed.
Sales and Liability
· A 30% commission will be charged on all sales.
· Every reasonable precaution will be taken to assure protection of entries, but the Alexandria Museum of Art assumes no responsibility for loss or damage from any cause during transit.
· Works will be insured for the duration of the show while on AMoA premises.
· Any entries delivered without insurance value will be assigned a maximum value of $500.