2019-2020 El Paseo Sculpture Exhibition
City of Palm Desert
Attn: 2019/2020 El Paseo Exhibition
73510 Fred Waring Drive
Palm Desert, CA 92260
Entry Deadline: 2/28/18
Number of Applications Allowed: 2
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
View Site Details
DEADLINE: February 28 at 11:59p.m. MST
For Information: 760-837-1664 or firstname.lastname@example.org
HONORARIUM: A $5,000 honorarium will be provided for each selected artwork. Participant is responsible for delivery and pick-up of artwork per scheduled date and time.
• All artists, galleries, museums/non-profit arts organizations, and private collectors are encouraged to apply.
• Artists who have participated in the 2017/2018 El Paseo Exhibition are not eligible to apply.
TO APPLY SUBMIT:
• A current resume or CV, including current contact information.
• Up to five (5) images of proposed sculpture.
• Description of the piece(s) including materials and dimensions.
• Three (3) references.
• A maximum of two sculptures for consideration per artist.
• Include complete contact information (address, phone number, and email address) on all submittals.
February 28, 2018: Applications due
March 14, 2018: Selections made by Art in Public Places Commission – 18 sculptures plus up to 4 alternates
April 12, 2018: City Council review and approval of selections
April 16-20, 2018: Selected artists notified
October 22 – November 8, 2018: Tentative dates for exhibition installation
January 2019: Exhibition dedication
October 2020: De-installation of exhibition
• All sculptures MUST fit on one of the existing concrete pads. Sixteen pads measure 84” x 84” with a usable corner-to-corner space of 67” x 67”. A horizontal base could use the maximum 84” length of the base if its width is within the 67” dimension. One pad measures 48” x 48” and one measures 96” x 300” (8’ x 25’), and could accommodate multiple pieces or one with a much larger base.
• Sculptures should be no less than 8’ and no more than 10’ in height on their own inclusive of a base, with the exception of artwork being proposed for the 48” x 48” pad for which the artwork can only be a maximum of 5’ tall. Additionally, there are a few pads that can accommodate sculptures up to 13’.
• Sculptures should weigh no more than 3,000 pounds.
• Sculptures should be suitable for viewing from all angles.
• All sculptures MUST be designed with tabs or other devices that can be utilized to easily secure the artwork to the concrete pads. Pads may not be altered in any way to accommodate the artwork.
• Power for the sculpture itself is not available on site. If the sculpture requires power then it is suggested that it include a solar component.
• Artworks must be constructed of durable materials that are able to withstand the harsh weather conditions of the desert (high winds and extreme high temperatures).
• Sculptures must comply with all appropriate engineering requirements.
SALE OF ARTWORK:
• Artwork can be sold, but not removed for six months once installation is completed.
• If a sculpture is sold, a replacement artwork must be submitted for approval. The replacement piece MUST be installed at the same time of the removal of the original piece; NO EXCEPTIONS. The artist or representative is responsible for all installation/de-installation costs associated with the replacement sculpture for the exhibition.
• One replacement per pad may be made during the exhibition period. Replacement artwork may need to be approved by the Art in Public Places Commission and Palm Desert City Council, which could take approximately six to eight weeks to process.
• Additional honorariums will not be paid.
• The City of Palm Desert does not take a commission from the sale of artwork.
THE CITY OF PALM DESERT WILL PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
• Installation and de-installation of the artworks
• Exhibition advertising
• Onsite insurance