Entry Deadline: 12/30/17
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 5
Entry Fee (The Rice Gallery of Fine Art - National Juried Plein Air Show): $35.00
CALL FOR ARTISTS:
The Rice Gallery of Fine Art is accepting submissions for the 3rd Annual National Juried Plein Air Show 2018, an opportunity for the Plein Air community to win cash prizes while promoting and selling their works! With no painting event to attend and no restrictions on painting locales, this event offers a chance for artists to highlight the very best of their Plein Air painting accomplishments in a fine art gallery setting.
This juried event will celebrate the plein air tradition by exhibiting, promoting, and selling an exclusive survey of works painted outdoors in the true spirit of plein air painting (“en plein air”). Our jurors will select the finest plein air works from artists all over the country for an exclusive Rice Gallery of Fine Art feature show, opening Friday, February 16th, 2018.
- Artists may submit 1 to 5 images of their best plein air work to be judged on an individual basis by our experienced panel of plein air judges.
- All juried selections will be featured for sale in a month long gallery exhibition at The Rice Gallery of Fine Art, one of Kansas City’s premier fine art galleries. This show will be promoted via print, mail, and social media advertising.
- All selected paintings will be eligible for CASH PRIZES!
- All selected plein air works will also be included in an online “digital art opening,” which will present high resolution images of each painting via Facebook, YouTube, and www.thericegallery.com for our online audience to purchase and enjoy.
A non-refundable online application fee of $35 will be collected from each artist submitting their works. All entries must be submitted via CAFÉ (www.callforentry.org) by Sunday, December 17th, 2017 (12/17/17). Artists MUST be members of CAFÉ to submit their works. CAFÉ is free and easy to join for all artists.
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to win cash prizes, sell your work, and add a prestigious fine art gallery exhibition to your artist resume. Sign up today!
GALLERY AND JURORS
The Rice Gallery of Fine Art offers an extensive selection of original fine art in the Kansas City area, representing many of the best artists from the Midwest region, as well as many established artists from across the nation. They proudly support the ever-growing plein air movement by organizing, hosting, and promoting an array of plein air events and representing many talented plein air painters as well.
The jury will be comprised of professional fine art gallery personnel and experienced plein air festival organizers. They will use their collective knowledge and trained eyes to select a survey of the finest works painted outdoors in the true spirit of plein air painting.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- All entries must be submitted via CAFÉ (www.callforentry.org) by Sunday, December 17th, 2017 (12/17/17).
- Artists MUST be members of CAFÉ to submit their works. CAFÉ is free and easy to join for all artists.
ENTRIES AND FEES:
- A non-refundable application fee of $35 will be collected from each artist submitting their works.
- This fee is payable online only by credit card via CAFÉ (www.callforentry.org).
- Limit one application per artist.
- Each artist may submit a maximum of 5 images (1 to 5 images) with their application.
- The artist will be responsible for ALL shipping expenses, to/from The Rice Gallery of Fine Art, on any works selected for exhibition (see SHIPPING POLICY below).
CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY:
- All submissions MUST BE ORIGINAL PLEIN AIR PAINTINGS (ideally completed in the last 12 months).
- Our jurors are well versed in PLEIN AIR style paintings (painted outdoors, in the open air or, “en plein air,” rather than in a studio) and will be choosing works they feel best represent the spirit of PLEIN AIR painting. Please submit your best PLEIN AIR work only, no studio work.
- No prints, reproductions, or photography will be eligible for submission.
- All artwork MUST BE completely dry, framed, wired securely, and ready to hang in a fine art gallery setting.
- Canvases MUST BE framed or museum wrapped with finished/painted edges and wired to hang.
- Works on paper and mediums susceptible to smearing/smudging MUST BE protected under glass or plexi-glass.
- The Rice Gallery of Fine Art reserves the right to reject any artwork deemed improperly framed or improperly prepared for hanging.
- Any work accepted to the juried show MUST BE present and available for sale for the duration of the scheduled exhibition.
- Selected works MUST BE received by The Rice Gallery of Fine Art, via local delivery or shipment, no later than Wednesday, January 24th, 2018 (01/24/18).
- No NFS (not for sale) paintings are eligible for submission.
- While there are no numerical limitations to the size of each piece being submitted, please only submit paintings that can be easily packed and shipped safely to/from The Rice Gallery of Fine Art.
- All paintings submitted for judging will be reviewed by our jury between the dates of Monday, December 18th, 2017 and Friday, January 5th, 2018 (12/18/17 - 01/05/18).
- Each artist may submit up to 5 paintings to be judged.
- Each painting is judged on an individual basis and, therefore, considered on an individual basis for exhibition as well, not as a group.
- Selections will be announced to ALL ARTISTS, selected or not, via CAFÉ and via email on Monday, January 8th, 2018 (01/08/18).
- The artist will be responsible for ALL shipping expenses, to/from The Rice Gallery of Fine Art, on any works selected for exhibition.
- The artist will also be responsible for any shipping insurance related to their paintings while in transit to/from The Rice Gallery of Fine Art.
- The Rice Gallery of Fine Art IS NOT responsible for any work that is stolen, lost, or damaged once picked up by the shipper for return.
- All works of art shipped to The Rice Gallery of Fine Art MUST BE shipped securely and safely with packing materials that are easy to unpack and may be re-used to easily re-pack and return any works that have not sold at the exhibition’s conclusion to the artist at their expense.
- ABSOLUTELY NO PACKING PEANUTS PLEASE.
- All shipments MUST BE sent “SIGNATURE REQUIRED” in order to be safely received by The Rice Gallery during their normal hours of business (10am-6pm Monday-Saturday).
- The Rice Gallery IS NOT responsible for any lost packages left with no signature required.
- ALL SHIPMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 24TH, 2018 (01/24/18).
- Please use packing materials appropriate for safe shipping to/from The Rice Gallery of Fine Art.
- Shipments that appear to have major damage upon receipt will not be opened and the artist will be contacted immediately to assist in assessing the damage and determining how to proceed.
- The artist will also be contacted immediately if any major damage is discovered once a painting is unpacked.
- Minor scuffs and scratches to frames as well as typical wear and tear will not be considered “damage” and will be deemed acceptable at the discretion of The Rice Gallery of Fine Art.
- Artists are welcome to deliver/pickup their works in person at their discretion. Artists may arrange for other individuals to deliver/pickup their works by contacting The Rice Gallery of Fine Art beforehand.
EXHIBITION AND PRIZES:
- All selected paintings that are properly shipped and received properly framed/finished/wired/mounted will be hung and displayed for sale in a month long exhibition which opens Friday, February 16th, 2018 5-8pm and concludes Friday, March 30th, 2018 (02/16/18 - 03/30/18) at The Rice Gallery of Fine Art in Overland Park, KS.
- All selected works will also be included in an online “digital art opening,” which will present high resolution images of each painting via Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and www.thericegallery.com
- This show will be promoted via print, mail, and social media advertising.
- All paintings selected for exhibition are eligible for cash prizes.
- Prize winners will be announced no later than Friday, February 16th, 2018 (02/16/18).
- All prize money will be paid to the winning artist(s) at the show’s completion via check and mailed to the address provided in the artist’s application.
- All paintings selected for this exhibition will be considered consigned inventory of The Rice Gallery of Fine Art and MUST BE for sale.
- A predetermined sales price MUST BE provided by the artist for each painting submitted to the show.
- The Rice Gallery of Fine art will collect a 35% commission on any paintings sold during the one month exhibition.
- The Rice Gallery’s commission will be deducted from the provided sales price.
- Prior to receiving their portion of a sale, the artist must complete and submit a 2018 W9 form for tax purposes.
- The artist’s portion of all sales will be paid at the show’s completion via check and mailed to the address provided in the artist’s application.
EXHIBITION CLOSE AND RETURN OF UNSOLD WORK:
- The exhibition officially ends Friday, March 30th, 2018 (03/30/18).
- All unsold work will be returned via shipment or local pickup, just as it was received.
- Any work being picked up locally must be picked up no later than Monday, April 2nd, 2018 (04/02/18).
- Paintings being returned via shipment will be packed and returned in the same packing materials they arrived in.
- The artist is responsible for arranging the return shipment of their painting(s).
- Pre-paid return labels may be enclosed in the original shipment or emailed to The Rice Gallery once the show has ended.
- Return shipments must be arranged no later than Friday, April 6th, 2018 (04/06/18).
DEADLINE/IMPORTANT DATES SUMMARY:
12/17/17 - All entries are due via CAFÉ.
12/18/17 - 01/05/18 - Jury reviews submissions.
01/08/18 - Selections announced via CAFÉ.
01/24/18 - Selected paintings MUST BE received by Rice Gallery by this date.
02/16/18 - Opening show reception at The Rice Gallery of Fine Art from 5-8pm and Prize winners announced.
03/30/18 - Show concludes.
04/02/18 - Deadline for local pickup.
04/06/18 - Deadline for return shipping arrangements.