Liberty, Missouri Sculpture Program
101 E. Kansas
Liberty, MO 64068
Entry Deadline: 4/2/18
Number of Applications Allowed: 3
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 3
The sculptures selected will be on display on or before July 17, 2018 until July 17, 2019.
Liberty’s Public Art Sculpture Program is in its second year and is a way to expand a permanent collection of public art by featuring additional pieces that would be on display for a limited period of time. Additional locations for sculptures will be added each year. Up to Six sculptures will be selected for installation in 2018. All work entered must be freestanding and resilient to variant temperatures and outdoor elements as it will be displayed outdoors for long-term public display. Selected artists will receive a $2,000 honorarium as well as public recognition and an opportunity for sales. The City of Liberty has the option to purchase at least one piece of art from the art pieces on display each cycle, which would become a part of the City’s permanent art collection. The purchase price may be up to $5,000 less the honorarium.
The Liberty Public Art Sculpture Program is open to all artists regardless of location and who are at least 18 years of age. All entries must be original work and of safe design and construction.
The following are the guidelines for the Liberty Public Art Sculpture Program:
· Pieces must be aestheically appropriate for display in public places. When reviewing pieces for consideration, safety to the public (i.e. no sharp edges, no points, no breakable or bendable components, no climbing hazards, no barbed wire, etc.) and durability will be priorities for acceptance. Height shall not create a balance hazard.
· The sculpture must be able to be structurally secured to a concrete pad with bolts.
· Materials may include but are not limited to: metal, wood, plastic, stone, ceramic or any other durable material that can withstand the variant temperatures. Regional temperature rage 120F to -30F
· Artists are responsible for insurance on the artwork, transporting, installing and removing the artwork after the display period in accordance with the timeline agreed upon with the City of Liberty. The City shall oversee installation. Any piece purchased by the City will be transported to its permanent location by the City after the artist removes the piece from the pad.
· Each artist selected to display will receive a $2,000 honorarium to help defray costs of transportation, installation, de-installation of the sculpture, and all other expenses involved. Any costs over $2,000 are entirely the responsibility of the artist.
· Selected Artwork must be installed by July 17, 2018 and removed by July 17, 2019. Any sculpture that cannot meet the scheduled installation and de-installation dates may be disqualified and an alternate piece may be chosen
· Artists may sell the exhibiting artwork during the scheduled time period. However, exhibiting artwork may not be removed until the exhibition has concluded on July 17, 2019.
Interested artists should submit the following to be considered:
· Completed application
· Artists may submit up to three (3) works for consideration any time prior to the deadline. Existing works and concept proposals will be considered.
· The Liberty Arts Commission reserves the right to select sculptures prior to the April 2 deadline. Early installation will be considered for these pieces.
· Digital Images of Submitted Work. Three (3) images shall be submitted for each entry. Each image should be labeled with image number, artist name and entry title.
· Each entry shall list:
Deadline for submission is on or before April 2, 2018 by 5:00 pm.
Sculpture entries shall be juried by a jury along with a committee including business and education professionals from the Liberty area. A selection panel will review all submissions meeting the application requirements and deadline. The selected artists may be interviewed by phone to discuss their proposed sculpture. Selected artists must enter into a contractual agreement approved by the City of Liberty.
EXHIBITION DEADLINES AND SCHEDULES