Entry Deadline: 10/2/17
View Site Details
Artwork Safety and Durability Requirements
For additional information regarding the roundabout, please refer to: www.superiorcolorado.gov/home/showdocument?id=5990
- The artwork should be designed “in the round” and be equally intriguing from all angles.
- The artwork must improve and not detract from the safety of the site.
- The artwork must not create a disorienting situation or cause a distraction for drivers.
- The artwork should be scaled to the attention of approaching drivers, but should not be so detailed that it requires up-close or extended inspection for appreciation.
- The artwork must be fabricated in durable, permanent, outdoor media that is safe, easily maintained, and proven its viability in public installations.
- The artwork must be able to withstand deep snowfall and high winds.
- The artwork must be constructed to reasonably discourage or deter theft and vandalism.
- The artwork must be suitable for public viewing by all ages.
Interested artists or artist teams must submit eight paper copies of the following, artist may also submit via the CaFE site:
In addition, the applicants must submit the following:
- Contact information verifying the satisfactory completion of at least one public art project.
- Contact information for two professional references.
- Artist statement, not exceeding one page, addressing the conceptual approach to the project.
- Conceptual design drawings including information about the actual dimensions of the artwork and placement in the roundabout.
- Estimated project budget, including projected cost of installation.
- Timeframe in which the artist would be able to complete the work from award of contract to installation.
- Description of materials to be used and their durability.
- Explanation of maintenance requirements and estimated maintenance expense.
- Current resume, not to exceed two pages for each artist.
- Ten digital images in high resolution JPEG format of relevant, recently completed artwork, via Dropbox or on a flash drive or via CaFE site.
- Image list identifying images by number, including title, media, completion date, dimensions (HxWxD), and a brief description of the work.
- NOTE: Do not staple or bind any of the materials. Application materials will not be returned.
The budget for this project is $200,000. The selected artist or artist team will be responsible for the design, fabrication, and shipment to the site and assist with the installation of the artwork. The available budget must cover all of the above, including without limitation artist fees, taxes, insurance, materials, tools, travel, project photography and documentation, expense contingency and any other associated costs. Installation and base foundation costs will be covered by the Town.
The CAPS Committee will select up to three finalists for the project. All finalists will be required to develop additional presentation materials and a maquette, and travel to Superior to complete an oral presentation. The maquette should be unsigned and up to two feet high. The Town will reimburse the artist for actual costs for creation of the maquette, up to $500. The Town will also reimburse the finalists for reasonable travel expenses to travel to Superior for an oral presentation, up to $1,000. Receipts must be provided for reimbursement.
The selection criteria are as follows:
The CAPS Committee will make a recommendation to the Town's Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees will make the final selection of the artwork.
- Proposed artwork exhibits artistic merit, quality, and innovative design.
- Proposed artwork is appropriate to the site in size and materials.
- Proposed artwork meets all requirements of this Call for Entries.
- Safety of proposed artwork is approved by the Town's Public Works Department
The selected artist(s) must execute the Town's Art Installation Agreement, a copy of which has been included in this Call for Entries.
Submittals must be received by October 2, 2017, at 4:00 pm (MST). Late applications will not be considered. Mail or hand-deliver applications to:
Town of Superior
Attn: Katie Rummel
124 E. Coal Creek Dr.
Superior, CO, 80027
- October 2, 2017 Submittal deadline
- November 15, 2017 Finalists notified
- December 4, 2017 Oral presentation by finalists at Town Hall
- December 7, 2017 CAPS Committee recommendation to Board of Trustees December 11, 2017 Final selection by Board of Trustees
- By December 31, 2017 Execution of Art Installation Agreement October 1, 2018 Deadline for installation
For additional information on this project, please contact Katie Rummel at (303) 499-3675, ext. 167, or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.