Entry Deadline: 10/23/17
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
Entry Fee (Symbolic-Nonmember Entry fee): $35.00
Entry Fee (Symbolic-ASL member Entry fee): $20.00
View Site Details
"Symbolic" is a juried visual art exhibition that will feature artworks depicting, incorporating or otherwise inspired by symbols; where symbolism itself is the subject matter and/or an expressive means to address other subjects. All interpretations of this theme are welcome. Artworks in all media, techniques and styles are encouraged. Open to artists 21+ in the St. Louis, MO region.
- Open to artists 21 years of age and older living in the St. Louis, Missouri region and surrounding 200-mile radius*.
*ONLY artists from the St. Louis region may enter and participate in exhibit--if you live further than 200 miles, we appreciate your interest, but you are not eligible. Sorry, but Chicago, IL and Kansas City, MO are further than 200 miles and are not in the St. Louis region.
- Artist also must be resident of the St. Louis region/200-mile radius when show begins (January 13) in order to submit work & participate, if selected for exhibition.
Artist Cheri Hoffman lives & works in St. Louis. She holds a BA in Psychology from the University of Denver and studied painting at Washington University School of Fine Art. Her mixed media artworks have been exhibited and collected regionally & nationally; and Terrence Dempsey, S.J., the Founding Director of the Museum of Contemporary Religious Art (MOCRA), the world's first interfaith museum of contemporary art, and May O'Rourke Jay Endowed Chair in Art History, Saint Louis University.
Awards of Excellence will be selected by the Jurors for this exhibit and include (1) $250 Best of Show Award of Excellence and (4) non-cash Awards of Excellence. All five Award recipients will then be eligible for our “Honor Awards 2019” ten-artist curated exhibit presented at Art Saint Louis, June 15-July 18, 2019. “Honor Awards 2019” Curator: Jessica Mannisi, independent curator, St. Louis, MO. Jessica most recently served as Assistant Curator, Schmidt Art Center, Belleville, IL from 2008-2017.
EXHIBITION SPACE & DATES
Art Saint Louis Gallery, 1223 Pine Street in downtown St. Louis, MO. Exhibition dates: January 13-February 14, 2018. Free reception on Saturday, January 13, 2018, 5-7 p.m. Gallery hours (effective October 2, 2017): M-F 8 a.m.-4 p.m. & Sat. 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
ABOUT ART SAINT LOUIS
Located on the ground floor of the historic and beautifully renovated Park Pacific building at 1223 Pine Street in downtown St. Louis, Missouri, Art Saint Louis is home to one of the most popular and frequently visited exhibition spaces in the entire St. Louis region. Created in 2013 and built upon the organization’s 33-year success in connecting St. Louis regional artists and audiences, the 2,700 square foot space Gallery boasts a year-round series of professionally juried group exhibitions showcasing the best of the region’s contemporary visual art. Highlighting each exhibition, Art Saint Louis opening receptions are a cultural mainstay in downtown St. Louis and are followed throughout the run of each exhibit with extensive viewing hours Monday through Saturday and an average of over 500 visitors per week. Uniquely designed as a gallery/café hybrid, the space is also the one and only café home of Catalyst Coffee Bar--owned by Art Saint Louis--making it a cultural and social destination like no other in the St. Louis region. Find Art Saint Louis on Facebook and view highlights from our previous exhibits in our photo albums.
The deadline to submit works for this exhibit is October 23, 2017, 11:59 p.m. MST.
PLEASE NOTE that this is an online entry process. The entry & upload process does require time, depending on your advance preparedness and image sizes, so please allow yourself adequate time when applying for & submitting your work to this exhibit. Advance registration (prior to entry deadline date) and image uploads to a CaFÉ Portfolio are highly recommended.
- Limit 3 original artworks in all media, styles, themes, and techniques that respond to the theme of the exhibit, "Symbolic," as described at top of this call for entry.
- Artwork must be completed between 2014—2017.
- Works not exhibited in any juried exhibit in St. Louis region during 6 months prior to exhibit dates.
- Works not previously exhibited in any exhibit in Art Saint Louis Gallery.
- NO ceiling installed work, this includes installation works.
- NO artworks that sit directly on Gallery floor.
- 2-d works must be framed or, if not framed, pre-approved presentation.
- Works on canvas may be gallery-wraped, strip framed or framed.
- Size limits: Final installation size on all 2-d and wall-displayed/hung work not to exceed 6’ (72”) WIDE or 7’ (84”) HIGH/TALL, this includes frame.
- Weight limit: 2-d works not to exceed 40 lbs.
- Larger sculptures, oversized 2-d work or installation works must be installed by artist under direction of Art Saint Louis Artistic Director.
- We are only able to exhibit pedestal-displayed or wall-hung sculpture. Gallery owns a limited number of standard sized pedestals & will provide for display of 3-d work. If your 3-d artwork is odd-sized, excessively heavy, or requires a very specific sized pedestal, plan on providing that pedestal or platform yourself, please.
- 3-d works that are extremely fragile, very small, that have a very small bottom/base, are unstable, or do not sit flat on a pedestal are not considered.
- NO works that are nailed, pinned, tacked, taped, velcroed, painted on, glued, adhered, or affixed directly to/on Gallery walls. Art Saint Louis uses traditional hanging hardware (hooks/nails) to hang artworks from their wires on the back of the pieces— however, we will not nail or tack an artwork directly to a wall, nor will we velcro, glue or use any other substance to directly apply an artwork to the wall. ALL works must hang by/from standard picture hanging hardware.
- No loose plexi that is clipped or nailed to wall.
- Artist must provide all equipment necessary to present video or artwork requiring electricity, incl. cords, adapters, DVD player, monitor, etc.; OR Art Saint Louis has one 20" monitor permanently mounted on gallery wall on which selected video artworks can be presented during exhibition. Headphones are provided if audio is a integral to artwork.
JURYING & IMAGE REQUIREMENTS
- Judging is only done by JPEGs online only at CallForEntry.org.
- LIMIT: 3 artworks.
- The image limit reads 6, and this allows for either one detail or one alternate view per artwork. Do not exceed 3 artworks total or you will be disqualified.
- Limit 2 JPEGs per artwork: 1 full view is required and either 1 detail OR 1 alternate view. IMPORTANT: IF you submit more than 2 images per artwork, the Jurors will NOT be shown your additional images. Any more than 2 images per artwork is not permitted and all additional images will be moved to the "withdrawn" category.
- NOTE: Multi-paneled artworks equal one artwork, as long as they are presented as one artwork and the total size of the artwork does not exceed our size limit rules. An artwork that is a diptych (2 panels) = one artwork; a triptych (3 panels) = one artwork, and so on. Please photograph the overall artwork and only be sure to include one detail/close-up view. if you submit images of all 3 panels and a full view of your triptych, you have exceeded your image limit.
Please make sure that the digital images of your artworks are:
- In focus.
- Cropped to feature only your artwork.
- Please, NO watermarks or name imprints/signatures.
- Free of a time-date stamp.
- Please photograph your 2-d artworks before you have them professionally framed. If the only image you have of your artwork is of the work framed, please use image editing software to crop the frame out of the image. Your artwork is what will be judged, not the frame.
Upload options for image files:
- File format: JPEG only.
- File dimensions: No smaller than 1920 pixels on the longest size.
- File resolution: 72 ppi/dpi (standard web resolution).
- File size: 5MB maximum.
Upload options for video files:
If you are unclear about how to apply for a Call for Entry using CaFÉ, please view their handy document here. They also provide a How to Apply for Artists video here.
- File formats: 3GP, WMV, AVI, MOV, ASF, MPG, MP4, M2T, MKV, M2TS.
- Resolution: minimum 620x480; max. 1920x1080.
- Aspect ratio: 4:3 or 16:9.
- Bit rate: recommended above 240 kbps.
- Frame rate: minimum 12 fps, recommended 30 fps. The frame rate of the original video should be maintained without re-sampling. In particular, pulldown and other frame-rate re-sampling techniques are strongly discouraged.
- Codec: h.264, h.263, mpeg-1, mpeg-2, mpeg-4, Windows Media Video, and motion jpeg mpeg-1 muxed, Apple Lossless
- Container: 3gp, asf, avi, mov, mpeg, mpeg-2, mp4, ogg
- Video file size: 100 MB maximum.
Submissions that do not comply with rules of entry will not be presented to the Jurors. Artworks selected for exhibition that are not accurately depicted by JPEGs may be removed from exhibit at Artistic Director’s discretion.
SALES & INSURANCE
- If you are accepted for this exhibit and sell your accepted artwork prior to the show, we recommend that you please sell it with the condition that it will be available for this exhibit. If that condition isn't possible, please do not enter that artwork for our exhibit.
- All works submitted for this exhibit must be available for the show dates. We will not exhibit substitutes.
- All artworks must either have a sale price or be marked Not for Sale (NFS). If NFS, please provide an insurance value (50% retail).
- No works marked POR (Price on Request) will be accepted.
- Artwork prices may not be changed once submitted for jurying.
- All sales are through Art Saint Louis with 30% donation/commission on work sold to ASL and 70% to artist.
- Your sale price should include Art Saint Louis' 30% commission.
- Artist responsible for delivery of sold work to buyer at end of exhibit.
- Artworks are insured at 50% of retail value during exhibit. Artist responsible for work in transit to/from ASL.
FRAMING & PRESENTATION for EXHIBITION
- All rules listed in above "SPECIFICATIONS" section apply.
- All work selected for exhibit must be delivered to Gallery ready to install.
- 2-d work must be framed & equipped with hanging wire stretched across back of artwork.
- NO sawtooth hangers, clip-style frames or keyhole mounts.
- French Cleat mounts okay.
- Works on canvas may be framed, strip-framed or gallery-wrapped.
- 2-d works must be framed or, if not framed, pre-approved presentation.
- NO works that are nailed, pinned, tacked, taped, velcroed, painted on, glued, adhered, or affixed directly to/on Gallery walls.
- No loose plexi that is clipped or nailed to wall.
- Oversized, heavy, or installation work must be installed by artist under direction of Artistic Director.
- Video must be presented on min. 9” monitor; monitor weight not to exceed 20 lbs. Equipment provided by artist; OR Art Saint Louis has one 20" monitor permanently mounted on gallery wall on which all accepted video artworks can be presented during exhibition. Headphones are provided if audio is integral to artwork.
- Artworks requiring electricity: Artist must provide all cords, adapters, cord protectors & equipment required to present work.
- Specific installation requirements must be resolved in advance with directions/devices provided by artist.
- Art Saint Louis reserves the right to install accepted works in a manner deemed necessary for a well-designed exhibition or for security purposes.
- Entry fee is non-refundable.
- Artist may submit up to 3 artworks for the one fee.
- $35/Non-member entry; OR
- $20/Art Saint Louis Member entry.
- Fee payable by credit card through CallforEntry.org or by check to Art Saint Louis, 1223 Pine St., St. Louis, MO 63103.
ENTRY FEE SCHOLARSHIP UNDERWRITING
- To provide as much opportunity as possible for artists at work in our region, Art Saint Louis is pleased to offer scholarship underwriting of entry fees for individuals for whom such entry fees might otherwise be a financial barrier to participation.
- To be considered for scholarship underwriting, please submit a written request to email@example.com relaying your request, including the title of the exhibition/Call for Entry, and your financial need.
- A limited number of scholarships are available for each exhibition, and will be awarded by Art Saint Louis on a case-by-case basis at the sole discretion of Art Saint Louis.
- Requests for scholarship funds do not guarantee approval or scholarship underwriting.
MEMBERSHIP IN ART SAINT LOUIS
Membership in Art Saint Louis is open to all and is not required to have your work considered for or juried into this exhibit. However, membership does have its benefits, including discounts on entry fees--the reduced Art Saint Louis member entry fee for this show is $20 and the non-member fee is $35. Benefits of membership include discounts on entry fees to juried exhibits, a weekly e-newsletter, a Membership & Resource Directory, access to a Members Only area of our website, 10% discount on all art purchases in the Gallery, 10 % on all coffee bar purchases, and additional opportunities. To download a Membership brochure and join Art Saint Louis today, visit our website (PayPal accepted).
As a non-profit artists’ organization, Art Saint Louis relies on volunteer support to help present our exhibitions. All exhibiting artists are required to volunteer 4 hours per artwork selected of time to the production of this exhibit; artists may contribute food or goods for the opening reception (value $20/per artwork), help out in the Gallery, or may buy-out volunteer time at $5/hour or $20/per artwork. Volunteer sign-up upon delivery of artworks for exhibit. Cash, contributions or in-kind goods or services are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law.
Art Saint Louis reserves the right to photograph all exhibited works for web use and publicity purposes. Art Saint Louis reserves the right to use digital images submitted for jurying for publicity of exhibition including but not limited to email, web use and social media. Accepted artists will be required to send high resolution JPEGs of accepted artworks to Art Saint Louis for exhibition records/paperwork and publicity.
DELIVERY & PICK-UP
- Artworks juried into exhibit are to be hand-delivered to Art Saint Louis Gallery on either Friday, December 22, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or Saturday, December 23, 2017, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. or again December 26 through December 29, Tuesday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or Saturday, December 30, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Exhibited artworks are to be picked-up at the end of the show on Thursday, February 15, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Friday, February 16, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., or Saturday, February 17, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Exhibited works may not be removed from ASL prior to 8:30 a.m. Thursday, February 14, 2018.
- ALL exhibited works must be removed from Gallery by 3 p.m. Saturday, February 17, 2018.
Having submitted artworks for jurying & having paid the entry fee, artist (1) accepts all conditions listed in the aforementioned rules of entry/exhibit prospectus; (2) represents, warrants and covenants that artist is not infringing on any proprietary right, copyright, patent right or any other right of any third party, and artist will indemnify Art Saint Louis and its agents, employees, affiliates, licensors, and business partners harmless from and against any and all costs, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred in relation to, arising from, or for the purpose of avoiding, any claim or demand from a third party that the submission, ownership, display, sale or the presentation of your artworks violate any applicable law or regulation, or the rights of any third party. This is legal & binding. Accepted artworks may not be substituted and prices may not be changed once submitted for jurying.
C A L E N D A R
- DEADLINE to ENTER: October 23, 2017, 11:59 p.m. MST. This is an online entry process, so we recommend giving yourself plenty of time (and patience) before the final entry date and time. Advance registration and image uploads to a Portfolio are highly recommended.
- Jury notifications will be e-mailed to ALL entrants by Friday, November 20, 2017.
- Deliver all artworks to Art Saint Louis Friday, December 22, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or Saturday, December 23, 2017, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. or again December 26 through December 29, Tuesday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or Saturday, December 30, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Install exhibit at Art Saint Louis Wednesday, January 3, 2018, 4-6:30 p.m.
- “Symbolic” January 13-February 14, 2018
- Free RECEPTION on Saturday, January 13, 2018, 5-7 p.m. FREE
- NEW Art Saint Louis Gallery hours: M—F 8a-4p, Sat. 9a-3p. Closed Sundays & major holidays. Free & open to the public.
- Pick-up exhibited works Thursday, February 15 & Friday, February 16, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or Saturday, February 16, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
QUESTIONS? Contact Robin Hirsch-Steinhoff, Artistic Director of Art Saint Louis firstname.lastname@example.org or 314/241-4810, 2#. Office hours: M-F 8 a.m.-4 p.m. www.ArtStLouis.org