We Are SNAG Appropriated Adornment
Entry Deadline: 10/16/17
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $25.00
We Are SNAG Membership Series of Online Exhibitions presents:
History has inspired artists for thousands of years. Rather than simply borrow imagery from the past, this exhibition asks you to engage deeply with historical appropriation.
Juried by Michael Dale Bernard (UW-Milwaukee) and Emily Stoehrer (MFA Boston), as the fourth juried member exhibition in the We Are SNAG series, we invite all SNAG members to apply to this exhibition. Submissions should include an image that documents the historical elements, materials, or sources that you are borrowing from and a brief statement (1-3 sentences) that describes your motivation for using them in a contemporary context. Works should be made within the last five years. Preference will be given to jewelry and other types of adornment, and photos of the work on the body are highly encouraged.
• Open to all SNAG members 18 years of age or older
• Applicants need not reside in the United States.
• All work must be original and produced within the last five years (2011 or later).
• Objects made from commercial kits or commercially available plans are NOT ELIGIBLE.
• Applicants are strongly encouraged, but not required, to apply with images that have not been widely circulated in Metalsmith or other publications.
• Collaborations are allowed under the conditions that 1, all artists involved are current members of SNAG; and 2, artists may only participate in one application: either as part of a collaboration OR as part of a personal application, but not both.
• Because this is an online exhibition, the audience can only experience the work through the photos you submit, therefore please submit the best possible photos that show the work as clearly as possible.
• There are no size restrictions for this exhibition
August 1, 2017 - Call opens on CallForEntry.org to SNAG Members
October 1, 2017 - Deadline for Entry on CallForEntry.org
November 1, 2017* - Notification of Results to Artists (by email)
December 1, 2017 - Online Exhibition goes live on SNAG//SPACE website
*Date may be subject to change.
Dr. Emily Stoehrer is the Rita J. Kaplan and Susan B. Kaplan Curator of Jewelry at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston where she oversees a collection that spans 6,000 years and includes more than 22,000 objects. She received her PhD from Salve Regina University and a master’s degree from the Fashion Institute of Technology. Over the last decade, Stoehrer has lectured extensively throughout the United States, and also in Europe and Asia. Most recently, she curated Past is Present: Revival Jewelry and was a contributor to the book Maker & Muse: Women and Early Twentieth Century Art Jewelry. Stoehrer is a member of the board of directors for the Society of North American Goldsmiths and is currently writing a book on jewelry and celebrity culture.
Michael Dale Benard’s practice developed in the urban sprawl of Los Angeles. He received his BFA in Metals from the University of Illinois in 1999 and his MFA from California State University, Long Beach in 2007. He joined the faculty at UW – Milwaukee in 2012 where he is currently an Adjunct Assistant Professor in metal, jewelry and digital fabrication.
MDB’s highly stylized artwork explores image as urban commodity, hip-hop culture, and organic structure. Steel fabrication, alternative materials, and vibrant color coatings are prominent in his work. He co-curated the Monochrome Noir exhibition at Velvet da Vinci in 2013 and you can find his work inShowcase: 500 Necklaces and 500 Rings, and the 2009 and 2016 Metalsmith Exhibitions in Print.
Do you have a topic for the next “WE ARE SNAG” Online exhibition? We’d love to hear it! Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org