Entry Deadline: 3/29/17
Days remaining to deadline: 3
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
Entry Fee (Summer 2017 College Station Artist in Residence): $10.00
Who is Eligible?
• Any current student enrolled in a visual arts program at a community college or university, or a graduate of a visual arts program at a community college, four year university, or master’s program in the past year.
• Applicants must be visual artists who concentrate in one of the following areas:
• Applicants must be available to live in College Station from mid-May to mid-August 2017.
- 2-D Mixed media - Includes collage and handmade paper, incorporates more than one type of material, and has a relief depth of less than 1/8 inch.
- 3-D Mixed media - Works with more than 1/8 inch of relief depth - This category is for objects that are "decorative" rather than "useful".
- Drawing - Pencil, charcoal, chalk, pastels, etc.
- Painting - Oil, acrylics, etc.
- Photography – Film or digital photography.
- Watercolor - Layered and pigmented water-based media including; acrylic, gouache, tempera and transparent watercolors applied to archival acid-free stock or handmade papers.
• Applicants must have a reliable vehicle and insurance.
• Applicants must be able to pass a background check.
What does The Arts Council offer?
• An unfurnished two bedroom apartment from mid-May through August 14th, 2017 rent free, generously donated by Twin City Properties.
• A stipend of $600 to assist with renting studio space to create a body of work.
• Mentorship sessions with area artists on how to install an exhibit, how to conduct sales and manage your financial affairs as an independent artist, and continuing education.
• A gallery show at the Arts Center’s Texas Gallery to run from July 27 - September 9, 2017.
What is required of the artist?
• Living Arrangements
• Producing Work
- The artist must live in College Station from mid-May to mid-August.
- The artist will be provided a rent free apartment, but is responsible for the payment of any utilities, cable TV, or internet.
- The artist is responsible for the upkeep of the apartment and must pay a deposit.
- The artist must be the sole occupant of the apartment; exceptions may be made for spouses or families. The artist may bring pets approved by the apartment complex, but the artist must pay the pet deposit.
- The artist may store artwork in the apartment but should not paint in the apartment.
- The artist must pass a background check prior to offer.
- No travel costs to or from College Station will be provided.
- Artist will receive a $600 stipend to facilitate renting studio space. It is the responsibility of the artist to find appropriate studio space for the entire time of their residency.
- The Artist may schedule the studio facilities at The Arts Center when available on certain dates. Availability is not guaranteed.
- If using The Arts Center studio, the artist will be responsible for ensuring the studio is properly maintained and in compliance with The Arts Council studio use policies/classroom procedures (documents contain details about prohibited materials and activities as well as general upkeep rules).
- The artist must be able to install their exhibition in the Texas Gallery of July 25-26, 2017. They must be available to attend the opening on the evening of July 27, 2017. They must also be available to deinstall their show on September 11-12, 2017.
- No more than 25 percent of the exhibition may be work created prior to the artist’s residency.
- The artist in residence must attend up to 3 one-hour seminars with Brazos Valley Art League members or other professional artists on the following topics: how to install an exhibit, how to conduct sales and manage your financial affairs as an independent artist, and continuing education. Mentors will be chosen after a consultation on the artist’s interests with the Program Director.
• Submission, Deadlines, & Interviews
- The artist will have the opportunity to have a solo show at the Texas Gallery in the Arts Center.
- Selling pieces is not required, but any pieces for sale in the show will be split 70 (Artist)/30 (The Arts Council). Any pieces sold via credit card with have 2.5% of the price deducted from the artist's commission.
- Artist is responsible for hanging the show and teardown.
- Artist must be present for the hanging of all shows during their residency to assist Arts Council staff.
- All materials must be received by Wednesday, March 29, 2017 through the Call for Entry application.
- Any questions should be directed to Amy Salvaggio at email@example.com
- Final applicants will be selected for an interview at the Arts Center located at 2275 Dartmouth Street in College Station. Interviews may be done via phone or webcam at the discretion of The Arts Council.
- Final decisions will be made no later than April 18, 2017.