Entry Deadline: 3/15/2017
The North Metro Arts Alliance is seeking kinetic artists to submit applications for a unique kinetic commission for the Westminster Station Plaza in Westminster, CO. This will be a highly visible sculpture, situated between the train platform and RTD parking structure, with estimated exposure to 1500 passengers per day. This project is thanks to funding from the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD) and The City of Westminster.
Westminster Station Plaza Kinetic Sculpture Commission will capture the fluid movement of the Westminster Station recognized through transportation, the element of flowing water and recreation along the Little Dry Creek Trail and/or the migration/flow of people navigating the station, plaza and regional park areas. The placement of the sculpture will be in a wide open area with full view from every direction, an ideal location for a kinetic piece to stand out as a key focal point, encompassing the theme of movement.
The public art budget is $35,500. All costs associated with the public art project including, but not limited to, artist design fee, structural engineering, insurance, materials, fabrication, transportation, installation, building or site modifications, travel to and from the site, per diem expenses, project documentation, contingency to cover unexpected expenses and any other costs related to the project. Selected semi-finalists will be invited to propose artwork for one or all of the locations listed below. Three semi-finalists will be selected and awarded $1000 stipend for development of a proposal to be considered for final award of the project.
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 6
Video clips- Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 9
2) Resume: A current résumé that outlines your professional accomplishments as an artist. Your resume may be any length, but the committee members are only required to read to the first two pages. If applying as a team, please submit a resume for each artist, with the lead artist first.
3) Statement of Interest: A statement of interest of 250 words or less briefly outlining the artist’s interest in the specific opportunity and the artist’s experience working on projects of this scope
4) Vision Statement for the commission – Statement of what the artist envisions in line with the Project Vision.
This exhibition will be open to professional artists over the age of 18 working in kinetic and interactive media from anywhere in the continental U.S.
Artwork must be kinetic or interactive in some way, and must relate to the Project Vision. Submitted examples of work should have been completed in the last three years.
Please note: Work submitted must not be dangerous or hazardous. Artwork that uses electrical arcing, flames, flammable gases, caustic or acidic liquids, or otherwise hazardous will not be considered for this exhibition.
The Selection Committee will consider the following:
· Artistic excellence
· Technical competence
· Conceptual compatibility
· Scale, material, form and content
· Appropriate relationship to the function of the site
· Structural and surface integrity
· Accessibility by the public
· Resistance to general wear, vandalism, or theft
· Ease of maintenance, minimal and low cost maintenance.
· Compliance with applicable public safety codes.
· Sustainability in intense sun and snow, wind and extreme temperatures.
· Artist’s Vision Statement for the commission
A large scale artwork is appropriate to this location. Space on the ground is limited so artworks could have a significant vertical component.
Enter online: All submissions must be made online through Callforentry.org. You may submit up to 6 images and 3 corresponding video links. Submissions by email, CD, or other means will not be accepted.
For the best representation of your work be sure to include a corresponding video link for your submitted images in the questions section of the CaFE online form.
Images: 6 image – 3 video link limit.
Deadline: All RFQ submissions must be received by March 15, 2017.
Notification: Notification of acceptance to semi finals will be made by phone by March 31, 2017. Others will be notified by email by the same date. No calls or emails about notification, please.
Westminster Station Plaza Kinetic Sculpture Commission
Open for RFQ submissions March 15, 2017
March 15, 2017 Deadline for RFQ Submissions
March 31, 2017 Notification to 3 Semi-finalists for proposals
April 27, 2017 Semi-Finalists Proposal Presentations to Selection Committee
May 8, 2017 Final Proposal Selection Deadline – Notification to Artists
March 15, 2018 Installation of completed artwork
April 6, 2018 Public Art Dedication Ceremony