Entry Deadline: 3/15/17
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 6
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 1
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 6
About the Art Walk
Nestled in the heart of the Valley, Yountville is the culinary capital of the Napa Valley. The town’s one-mile main street features world-renowned restaurants, a dozen tasting rooms and hotels, all within walking distance of each other, as well as shopping, galleries and public art. Yountville is also home to the oldest California State Veterans Home with over 900 residents. Our Art Walk currently has over 30 pieces and is a destination for many of the Town’s annual tourists.
About the Call
The Town of Yountville is searching for a sculpture for permanent display in the beautiful Veterans Memorial Park in Yountville as part of the town's Public Art Walk. The Veterans Home of California~ Yountville is the home of the largest Veterans Home of its kind in the country and shares a deep history and is a source of pride in our community. The Veterans Memorial Park is undergoing renovation and will reopen in early 2017 with a fresh look and larger emphasis on it being the “Veterans Memorial” Park. This sculpture will be the most prominent feature along with newly placed flag poles, concrete inscriptions and interpretive signage that ensure the park lives up to its name.
We are calling all outdoor sculpture artists to submit entries for this project. The budgeted commission for this piece is $20,000 which includes design, construction and installation. Sponsorship funding will be considered by the Town for this project.
The sculpture must be one-of-a-kind and embody the spirit of United States Military Veterans past, present and future. The sculpture will be on permanent display and owned by the Town of Yountville.
The selected Artist will be offered a stipend of $20,000 to assist with creation, transportation and installation expenses. A deposit of $10,000 will be made upon award of the contract. The remaining $10,000 will be made upon the successful installation of the sculpture. Sponsorship funding will be considered by the Town for this project. If your proposal requires additional sponsor funding, please note that in the application.
- Artwork must be constructed of materials made to adequately and without the requirement of heavy maintenance, withstand the elements outdoors including sun, rain, dust and wind for a minimum of 20 years.
- Sculptures must be structurally safe for display in public and must not have the potential to cause injury. All components must be securely fastened.
- Sculptures must arrive in the same condition as portrayed in the photographs. The Town reserves the right to refuse a sculpture upon arrival if it does not match the photographs submitted.
- The Town wishes to complete the project within the 2017 calendar year or as mutually agreed upon.
- The Town does not wish to stipulate a size, material or installation area but requests that potential artists become familiar with the park space and suggest potential installation sites. On the project webpage artists can find photographs, the renovation plans and a video tour of the park. ACCESS THE PROJECT WEBPAGE HERE! Artists are welcome and encouraged to schedule a site tour by emailing Samantha Holland at email@example.com or calling (707) 948-2627.
How to Apply
- All applications must be submitted through CAFÉ. www.callforentry.org. Please only submit ONE SCULPTURE DESIGN per entry!
- Artists may submit up to 2 designs and must include at least three images of each design.
- Images should accurately represent the work whether already constructed or as a design.
- Artists must include a description of each submitted work including dimensions, weight, title, and medium, date of construction, cleaning and maintenance instructions.
- If conceptual sculptures are proposed, the Town must be offered design drawings and in-progress photos and will have the option of refusing the completed work if it is not delivered as described.
- Sculptures will be juried on the basis of their artistic merit, artistic context, and content in relation to theme, maintainability and suitability for public display. Jury will consist of members of the Town Council, Yountville Arts Commission, Veterans Home of Yountville and public at large.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES MARCH 15, 2017
- Accompany his/her artwork to town and complete the installation of the sculpture. All works must be ready for exhibition upon installation.
- Provide instructions for maintenance of the art work.
- Provide information for website, Art Walk Brochure and other promotional materials.
- Maintain up to date contact information with the Town for correspondence.
- Attend an art reception/event to highlight the sculpture and artist.
- Take ownership of the sculpture at installation.
- Maintain the sculpture itself and the area surrounding as appropriate.
- Provide marketing to promote the sculpture and artist including, but not limited to:
- Press Releases
- Inclusion in the printed and downloadable Art Walk brochures
- Recognition on Town of Yountville website
- Recognition on Yountville Arts website & Social Media Pages
- A plaque/signage at the base of the sculpture
- Include the artist and highlight the sculpture at a Yountville Arts event or reception
- Invite the artist to participate in annual art related events.