Entry Deadline: 5/23/17
Days remaining to deadline: 30
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Entry Fee (44th Annual Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Exhibition): $40.00
44th Annual Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Exhibition
CALL FOR ENTRIES
Submission Deadline: May 23, 2017
Exhibition Dates: September 16 – October 28, 2017
The Rocky Mountain National Watermedia (RMNW) exhibition, in its 44th year, is presented by Center for the Arts Evergreen (CAE) in Evergreen, Colorado. CAE is honored and excited to take responsibility for hosting this annual exhibition. RMNW attracts entrants and jurors from throughout the United States, and is regarded as one of the top watermedia exhibitions in the country.
CAE’s mission is to promote and cultivate artistic excellence and to enrich the art experience in our mountain community. A nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, CAE is committed to delivering engaging exhibitions and diverse educational programs for adults and children. In 2017 we are moving to our new facility, which includes a modern gallery space housed in a historic old school house that became a church and is now the new home of CAE.
CAE is pleased to announce that internationally acclaimed painter, author, and teacher, Stephen Quiller, will serve as the juror for the 44th annual Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Exhibition. Mr. Quiller is best known for his work in watermedia, and was awarded the Gold Medal of Honor at the 148th International American Watercolor Society Exhibition in New York City in 2014. His paintings have been on the covers and the subjects of articles of many leading artists magazines. He has authored two best-selling books, Color Choices and Painter’s Guide to Color, and his “Quiller Wheel” is used by artists worldwide.
Mr. Quiller will offer a Master Workshop, Color and Water Media, at CAE July 31 – August 3, 2017 (Monday-Thursday). For more information and to register, visit our website at www.evergreenarts.org, and click on Education. The workshop is listed on the July tab of Adult Classes. Or, you may contact our Director of Education, Stephanie O’Malley, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, he will give a lecture, free and open to the public, on Sunday, July 30, 2:00 pm.
CALENDAR OF IMPORTANT DATES
May 23, 2017: Deadline for receipt of entries (www.callforentry.org)
June 22, 2017: Juror selections announced and artists notified via email
July 5, 2017: Deadline for accepted artists’ contracts and all materials (artist’s statement, bio/resume, and photograph)
July 3 – 16, 2017: Shipped works will be accepted
July 16, 2017 (10:00-12:00): Hand-delivered works will be accepted
July 30, 2017 (2:00 pm): Stephen Quiller lecture
July 31 – August 3, 2017: Master Workshop with Stephen Quiller
September 16, 2017 (4:00-8:00): Opening Reception
September 16 – October 28, 2017: Exhibition Dates
October 30, 2017 (1:00-3:00): Pick-up of unsold artwork
November 2, 2017: Unsold artwork shipped to artist
- Open to all artists residing in the United States.
- Each artist may enter up to 3 paintings for consideration. Accepted artists will only have 1 painting in the exhibition.
- Paintings must be an aqueous medium on watercolor papers, watercolor canvas, watermedia boards such as Aquabord, Claybord, Gessobord, Yupo, illustration boards, panels (egg tempera). Non-watercolor canvas is not permitted. Computer‐generated works or Giclee prints are also not permitted. All collage materials must be painted by the artist.
- Other media, if used, must be in conjunction with the watermedia, which must be dominant.
- All entries must be one‐of‐a‐kind.
- Artworks must have been painted in the last two years, and may not have been shown previously in any exhibition at CAE or a previous RMNW exhibition.
- Your source material must be your own design or made from your own photograph.
- If accepted, the painting shipped must be the same as the image submitted.
- Minimum image size is 8” x 10”.
- Maximum frame size is 72” x 72”.
- No glass is permitted. Plexiglass only.
- Frame must be sturdy enough to support the artwork without buckling the plexiglass.
- Frame must be wired for hanging. No other types of hangers are allowed.
- Mats, if used, must be white or off white unless it is an integral part of the artwork.
DELIVERY AND RETURN OF ACCEPTED WORK
- All shipped artwork will be charged a $25 handling fee.
- Detailed instructions will be sent with notification of acceptance.
- All artists shipping work must provide a pre‐paid return-shipping label. Unsold work will not be returned without a prepaid return-shipping label.
- CAE is not responsible for damage or loss during transport.
- CAE provides insurance for artworks while on premises.
CAE produces a beautiful full color catalog featuring the artwork in the exhibition and indicating the award winners. All artists who are accepted into the exhibition will receive one complimentary catalog. Additional copies of the catalog may be purchased.
In 2016, awards totaled almost $9,000 in cash and merchandise to exhibition artists.
All paintings must be available for sale during the exhibition. Please note that CAE retains a 40% commission on all art sales. Prices may not be changed after submission. Payment for sold artwork will be issued 30 days after the close of the exhibition.
Submission to this juried exhibition constitutes an agreement on the part of the entrant to the conditions set forth in this prospectus. CAE reserves the right to final curatorial, educational, installation, and marketing decisions.
HOW TO ENTER
PREPARE YOUR IMAGES:
- File format: JPEG only
- File dimensions: no smaller than 1920 pixels on the longest side
- File size: 5 MB maximum
- File resolution: 72 ppi/dpi (standard web resolution)
- Orientation: ensure your image is properly oriented (vertical or horizontal)
- Show only the image, no frame or mat
- No digital enhancement to the image is allowed
- No slides or photographs will be accepted
- It is in your best interest to submit a high resolution, high quality image
CAE encourages all entrants to review the instructions and tutorials for formatting images and entering before beginning the actual entry process. The following are tools available to help format digital entries:
- Pixl Express: https://pixlr.com/express/ (free, online)
- Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (purchase software)
- How-To Tutorial by Linda Doll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wChDaNa5Z-o
ENTERING THROUGH CAFE:
- Prepare your digital image before you apply
- If entrants have not registered previously with CaFE, setting up a portfolio is free of charge
- Pay the non-refundable entry fee of $40.00
- Images submitted may be used for publicity and/or educational purposes
- For technical assistance with your entry, please see www.callforentry.org/cafehelp.phtml or contact email@example.com directly (CAE cannot provide technical assistance for CaFE)
COMMUNICATIONS & NOTIFICATIONS
Correspondence and notifications with entrants will be done via email. Please make sure that your contact information is correct. If you do not have an email address, it is advised that you create one before you enter. For further inquires, contact Becky Guy via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.