The 2014 Neddy at Cornish
The Neddy at Cornish
Cornish College of the Arts
1000 Lenora St.
Seattle, WA, 98121
Entry Deadline: 4/20/14
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 15
Audio - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 6
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 10, Maximum: 15
THE NEDDY AT CORNISH ARTIST AWARD PROGRAM APPLICATION GUIDELINES
OPEN CALL APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 20, 2014
ABOUT THE NEDDY
The Neddy at Cornish is an annual artist award program supported by the Behnke Foundation and housed at Cornish College of the Arts in memory of Robert E. (“Ned”) Behnke and in celebration of his life as an artist. Each year, two $25,000 unrestricted awards are given—one in painting and one in any medium or combination of media grounded in the visual arts—to artists living and working in the greater Puget Sound region. Six finalists will also receive $1,500 and will be included in a group exhibition each September.
Ned Behnke was a beloved member of the Behnke Family and a renowned and talented painter. Ned had a passion for the arts that extended beyond his own work. He appreciated the myriad forms that art takes and the way in which art can foster a conscious, vital, and more livable world. After Ned’s untimely death, Shari D. Behnke founded the Neddy in 1996 as a way to honor both his legacy as a visual artist and his deep connection to the Seattle art community. Under the auspices of the Behnke Foundation, the Neddy has become one of the most important art awards in Seattle. The artists who have been recognized have a unique vision and a strong passion for their art as well as for the transformative potential of art to enliven and enrich the world in which they live and practice.
In 2011, the Behnke Foundation transferred the program to Cornish College of the Arts to house and administer the Neddy at Cornish artist award program. Building on the history Ned shared with the College and on the shared commitment of the Foundation and the College to invigorate and sustain communities through art, the Neddy at Cornish program will continue to make two substantial and unrestricted awards to Seattle artists each year. To assist the College, an advisory board of regional arts professionals will offer their external perspective and expertise.
There are two Neddy awards each year. Recipients will demonstrate artistic distinction through an established body of work and a commitment to their practice. In honor of Ned and his passion for painting, one Neddy celebrates artists that continue to innovate through this traditional medium. Reflecting the ever-increasing possibilities in contemporary art practices, one Neddy honors artists that work in any medium or combination of media grounded in the visual arts.
Ned Behnke embodied Cornish College of the Art’s mission of developing artists as citizens—individuals who create outstanding artwork with an applied consciousness of responsibility to society. As the awards honor Ned’s legacy, Neddy recipients will reflect and embody his belief in the power of art and artists to be positive forces in our world. The criteria for both awards are:
1. Demonstrated commitment to and ongoing development of one’s artistic vision.
2. Demonstrated engagement with the world around them through their art practice, broadly understood.
Artists may apply for a Neddy at Cornish artist award if they meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Artists must be full-time residents of Washington State, residing in the greater Puget Sound region (Island, Jefferson, King, Kitsap, Mason, Pierce, Skagit,San Juan, Snohomish, Thurston and Whatcom counties) and must be U.S. citizens.
- Artists must be 18 years of age or older during the time of application.
- Artists must be currently active, demonstrating an ongoing pattern of producing and presenting work.
- Artists must not be previous recipients of the award.
- Students currently enrolled in either undergraduate or graduate degree programs at the time of application are NOT eligible. Applicants are invited to contact program staff with questions about eligibility. Those who have completed all degree requirements at the time of application, but have yet to matriculate may be eligible pending verification. Please contact program staff for more information.
Applicants must fulfill the online application requirements (visit www.callforentry.org for details on image/file preparation and other submission information) by the application deadline. A panel of three regional arts professionals will review all applications and select four painters and four open medium artists, for a total of eight finalists. From these eight artists, a single juror from outside the region will review portfolios and visit the eight artists’ studios, ultimately selecting one artist in each category (painting and open medium) to receive the 2014 award.
Final Round: A single juror from outside the region will conduct individual studio visits with each of the eight artists. Studio visits will be scheduled with the artists July 31-August 3 of the award year (2014), and will be facilitated by the Neddy at Cornish program staff.
Notification: Following the studio visits, the juror will select the two Neddy award recipients. The remaining six finalists will also receive special recognition through a $1,500 award and inclusion in the Neddy at Cornish exhibition. The Neddy Program Director will notify the two 2014 Neddy at Cornish artists and the six finalists to congratulate them.
- The two 2014 Neddy at Cornish artists will each receive $25,000.
- The six 2014 Neddy at Cornish finalists will each receive $1,500.
- All eight 2014 Neddy artists will be featured in a group exhibition, documentary video and reception in their honor in the Cornish Main Gallery, September 2014.
- April 20, 2014: Open call application deadline.
- June 2014: Reception announcing finalists.
- July 31- August 4 2014: Studio visits with final selector.
- August 2014: Announcement of awardees.
- September, 2014: The Neddy at Cornish exhibition.
- September 2014-May 2014: Supporting programming, to be developed with the two 2014 awardees.
The 2014 Neddy at Cornish Program
The Neddy at Cornish program offers unrestricted $25,000 awards to artists who demonstrate a distinctive artistic practice or perspective and who engage with the community at large. To deepen the impact of these awards, Cornish College of the Arts is excited to undertake a year-long series of events and activities to honor and support the work of the recipients, and will, where feasible, make physical resources available to the artists. After an initial conversation with program staff, and depending on their interests and availability, the two 2014 Neddy at Cornish artists can elect to suggest or develop programs themselves, or can rely on program staff to shape events that reflect and highlight the awardees’ areas of artistic endeavor. Programming possibilities include, but are not limited to artist talks, studio visits, student critiques, panel discussions, or additional exhibitions. In addition to these programs and the annual exhibition, the College will host an annual Robert E. “Ned” Behnke Lecture, inviting an artist or scholar of stature to the campus for a talk and discussion of timely issues relevant to the mission of the Neddy at Cornish program.
Please contact Cornish College of the Arts if you have any questions regarding the application process: (206) 726-5116; or email email@example.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 20, 2014
All applications must be submitted online at CaFÉ (www.callforentry.org) by10:59 pm PST on April 20, 2014. The CaFÉ website will guide applicants through the submission process. Applications sent by mail, submitted in person, or arriving late or incomplete will not be considered.
Print this Page View Legal Agreement