Print this Page View Legal Agreement
Print this Page View Legal Agreement
City of El Paso: 2013 Artwork Purchase Program
City of El Paso: Museums and Cultural Affairs Department
Attn: Public Art Program
2 Civic Center Plaza
El Paso, TX 79901
Entry Deadline: 2/14/13
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 6
CALL FOR ARTWORK
2013 Purchase of Artwork for the New El Paso City Hall Buildings
Approximately $200,000 is available to purchase existing artwork created by Artist living in the El Paso Area.
Application Deadline: February 14, 2013
The Museums & Cultural Affairs Department is building a public collection of artwork created by El Paso Area artists that recognizes the artistic talent and cultural diversity in El Paso, Texas. The artwork is placed in City buildings for the benefit and enjoyment of the general public. The goals of this program are to collect artwork that:
• Is high-quality and original in design and idea;
• Showcases the wide range of excellent artwork created by El Paso Area artists with diversity in style, medium, and concept;
• Illuminates the history, culture, and traditions of this region
• Engenders a sense of belonging among the members of our community; and
• Promotes understanding of cultural values and perspectives of all people.
Approximately $200,000 is available for the 2013 Purchase Program. The artwork will become part of the City of El Paso Art Collection and will be installed at the following new City buildings:
• Times Building, located at 300 N. Campbell,
• Luther Building, located at 218 N. Campbell,
• Texas Building, located at 801 Texas Ave.
• Other locations throughout the City to be determined.
The Public Art Program for the City of El Paso was adopted by City Council in 2006 in
the effort to integrate public artworks throughout the City of El Paso. The Public Art
Ordinance established a 2% for the arts program, setting aside 2% from every Capital
Improvement Project budget for the acquisition of art for municipal property. Since its
inception, the Public Art Program has strived to offer our local communities and
neighborhoods insight, repose, delight and a distinctive sense of place.
• Must be at least 18 years or older
• Must be a professional artist, dedicated to producing work on a regular basis
• Must live and work in the El Paso Area
• Cannot be a member of the City of El Paso Public Art Committee, Museums and Cultural Affairs Board, or current City of El Paso Employees
• Submit up to 6 pieces of existing artwork available for purchase.
• Artwork must be original and have been created within the last five (5) years.
• Content/subject matter must be suitable for a general audience.
• 2-dimensional work can be submitted with quality professional framing or submitted without a frame. The panel reserves the right to request that the work be purchased unframed if the frame submitted does not meet professional standards or does not coincide with the surroundings.
• 2-demensional and low-relief artwork including, but not limited to, drawings, paintings, textiles, quilts, photography, and mixed media will be considered.
• Low-relief artwork, that does not protrude more than 2 inches from the wall, will also be considered (ceramic, metal, glass, and other materials).
• Photographs and fine art prints (including, but not limited to digital prints, etchings, lithographs, woodblock, etc.) are eligible but must be signed and numbered and in a limited edition of 250 or less.
• Artworks submitted for consideration should be not smaller than 11” (height or width) and maximum size of 80” (height or width) and maximum weight of 25 pounds.
• Should not require a power source or utilities such as an electrical outlet, batteries or running water.
Artwork will be selected on the basis of:
• Artistic merit
• Aesthetic quality
• Appropriateness for a public setting
Artwork selection panels appointed by the Public Art Committee and comprised of artists and arts professionals, City staff, and community members will review the artists’ application materials. Submissions will be considered for all building locations. The selection panel will review and rank the images. Following the review of images, the selection panels will identify artworks for possible purchase.
Applications for the Artist Registry must be submitted online through the CaFÉ™ website (www.callforentry.org). There is no application fee to apply or to use the CaFÉ™ online application system. Applicants must submit through CaFÉ™ to be considered; no slides or hard copy materials will be accepted. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
For complete entry requirements and instructions go to: www.callforentry.org, register a username and password, navigate to “Apply to Calls”, and search the list for “City of El Paso 2013 Artwork Purchase Program”
Applications must include the following:
• Artist Statement (5,000 character maximum);
• A minimum of three (3) and a maximum of six (6) images of artworks available for purchase.
• Annotated Image List: Descriptions of available artwork including title, dimensions, materials, year of completion, brief description of artwork if necessary, and retail value of unframed artwork.
• Current résumé outlining professional accomplishments as an artist;
Note for galleries and dealers: We will work with those designated as the contact representative for the artist during the selection phase. However, payments for purchased artworks will be made directly to the artist. Any agreement that an artist may have with his/her gallery or representative must be handled between the artist and the dealer. The City of El Paso will assume no responsibility for payment of fees or percentages to gallery dealers or other artists’ representatives.
All artists who apply will receive electronic notification of the results of the selection process. Notification will be sent to the email address supplied when applying through CaFÉ™.
PROJECT TIMELINE (subject to change)
January 2013………………………………….Project announced
February 14, 2013…………………………….Deadline for submission
April 2013…………………………………….Notification of finalists
Submission materials must be received as a complete application in CaFÉ™ before 11:59, Mountain Standard Time on Thursday February 14, 2013. Incomplete, non-compliant and/or late submittals will not be accepted.
For more information about this pubic art opportunity, contact:
Public Art Program Coordinator
Museums and Cultural Affairs Department